WTF Scenario: Society has collapsed, you've been named Overlord!

What's your plan for preventing bartering from becoming obsolete?

Currency does a wonderful thing. It allows people to specialize. It allows me to know how to build and repair things, thus freeing me needing to grow my own corn and wheat in order to make my own bread, it means I don't have to raise and butcher cattle.

Bartering lets me do the same thing, but what happens when I try to trade my work for another's, but they don't have the equivalent work to trade at that time? I have to accept an IOU from them

What's your plan for preventing bartering from becoming obsolete?

Currency does a wonderful thing. It allows people to specialize. It allows me to know how to build and repair things, thus freeing me needing to grow my own corn and wheat in order to make my own bread, it means I don't have to raise and butcher cattle.

Bartering lets me do the same thing, but what happens when I try to trade my work for another's, but they don't have the equivalent work to trade at that time? I have to accept an IOU from them

...plan b... Become Utopian?

:lol:

Work hours would be an interesting method of currency, but that would have to be implemented by a functioning society

Hehe. Yeah. Great in theory, I just don't see society being able to overcome human instincts to rebel. I mean.. look at Logan's Run. They just couldn't be happy with dying so young in exchange for a worry free and self-indulgent life.

Yes, I just used a movie as though it were a real life example.

Last edited:
Hehe. Yeah. Great in theory, I just don't see society being able to overcome human instincts to rebel. I mean.. look at Logan's Run. They just couldn't be happy with dying so young in exchange for a worry free and indulgent life.

Yes, I just used a movie as though it were a real life example.
But that has nothing to do with using work hours.
It takes .5 hours to change oil in a car, by me doing that job for you, you owe me .5 hours of work.

There would obviously need to be modifiers, different jobs take different amount of training. Takes no training to be a lube jockey, takes a decent amount of training to become a mechanic, takes years of training to become a master mechanic. More training means more hours earned.

Some careers like teachers or doctors would have to be paid for by the government or some such as there's no way for a normal person to make up the modifiers