save my water

Thorn Bird

Forum Mom
May 24, 2005
Marklar
₥65
so, you may or may not know that georgia is in serious drought. serious as in it is very likely that we are going to run out of water in 70 days. that's a pretty intimidating thought.
up in tennessee somewhere, they are rationed three hours of water a day. someone said you take your showers and fill up bathtubs during this time, and then that's it.
so i'm looking for some ideas. we are already changing some of how we work, but what are some other ideas? we have always waited till the dishwasher/washing machine was full before running them, and we have always turned off the water while brushing teeth and all that...and now we are even not flushing every time...it's pretty gross but not as bad as i thought it'd be. also, we are saving water the we use to brush teeth and wash hands to flush the toilet.
any other ideas? obviously i can stop drinking my filtered fridge water and start using more bottled water (but that's bad for landfills...but what do you do?) i can go to more disposable things like paper plates and cups and baby wipes (which is, again, bad for landfill..) i can turn off the shower while lathering (i think of you, dbzeag, when thinking of that :heart:)...
what am i not thinking of? and who is going to start sending us water? i know our water bill's about to quadruple or something. :eek: :(
it's a scary day when you are about to run out of water. i just don't understand it.

it won't happen...we are releasing more water downstream than necessary so that will be tapped before millions of people are out of water
I would still observe normal measures to conserve water that are reasonable

I just want someone to break my water.

I have no suggestions for conserving water (more then you already posted).

it won't happen...we are releasing more water downstream than necessary so that will be tapped before millions of people are out of water

Yes, but would that problem still exist if people were more forward thinking, like Thorn? Possibly not. We piss away resources.

i know someone who knows someone who's in the in and they said it's a STRONG possibility it'll happen. i know that's far down the grapevine, but it's enough for me to take it seriously. it's hard to imagine!!

you know lots of sex is supposed to do it. go walk around a zoo or something. :heart: i know you're miserable, poor thing. maybe this guy's trying to do it right. ;) you've never made it to 40 weeks before!

When shaving or brushing your teeth, just fill the sink a small bit with water. Overall it is less than if you use it to rinse off the blade or rinse the brush out.

Do the Bear approach and drink your own urine?

You could start collecting rain water, if you had any. I am sure that's why you are in a drought now, though.

Share showers? I know when chim and I share a shower, it lasts 15 mins instead of the 10 each it ususally lasts.

Move to someplace that doesn't suck as bad as Atlanta? :confused:

Bring empty water bottles with you and fill up at fountains in the park or at work.

:heart:

Yes, but would that problem still exist if people were more forward thinking, like Thorn? Possibly not. We piss away resources.

I don't unnecessarily run the water ever so it's not like I have any impact on the situation

if the means are there with only minor adjustments to be made, the state and natl govts will obviously not let themselves be culpable for millions going without water...that's just plain ridiculous

I don't unnecessarily run the water ever so it's not like I have any impact on the situation

you do if you flush after every time you pee. you do if you let the water go down the drain as it's warming for your shower. you do if you aren't capturing the water while washing your hands. :hs: we all are wasteful and spoiled.

you do if you flush after every time you pee. you do if you let the water go down the drain as it's warming for your shower. you do if you aren't capturing the water while washing your hands. :hs: we all are wasteful and spoiled.

I'm rarely home so I'm not leaving pee to stink for however long in the house....not an option
I warm for the shower during toothbrushing and shaving so the hot water is already there and ready when I turn on the shower

there are reasonable measures one can take and I take care to do what I can...it's unreasonable to gargle with your dishwater or brush with the water in the back of your toilet tank :p

edit: how does one capture water from hand washing(are you just talking about stopping the drain?) and what future purpose does it serve?

Last edited:

Get a pedicure. At the spa my wife worked at, they've had 5 or 6 women have their water break during a pedicure.

As far as conserving water: if it yellow, let it mellow, if it's brown, flush it down. Group showers, wash dishes by hand instead of a dishwasher. You can also buy the large bottles of water (that are for water coolers) that usually require a deposit, that way there is no additional landfill. Just pour it out into a few pitchers and keep them in the fridge, and refill them when they get low.

we are certainly a spoiled lot.

i take short showers already.

and our dishwasher went down over the summer and has not yet been fixed (handyman mixx on the job) and our water bill and gas bill have gone down 80%.

good luck with your water issues. i think we're still waiting on the desalination plant.

You could always move to Cleveland. I hear they have this giant body of freshwater near by. :lol:

Of course our kids have multiple heads and no fingers from pollutants, but that's ok. It's what makes them "special"

I'm rarely home so I'm not leaving pee to stink for however long in the house....not an option
I warm for the shower during toothbrushing and shaving so the hot water is already there and ready when I turn on the shower

there are reasonable measures one can take and I take care to do what I can...it's unreasonable to gargle with your dishwater or brush with the water in the back of your toilet tank :p

edit: how does one capture water from hand washing(are you just talking about stopping the drain?) and what future purpose does it serve?

put a bucket in the sink to get all the water that would go down the drain. then dump the bucket in toilet to flush it.

Kiwi a shot of Castor Oil will kick start labor. But it causes other things to happen too.

It's hard to think of us being in a drought when it keeps raining lately.