Reading Material

ERage

Giant Member
Nov 7, 2005
Marklar
₥10
So since everybody is about to go traveling I was interested to know what everyone is reading these days. I'm not going to the meat but I have a 9 hour ride to D.C. in front of me on Friday and I want to go get a couple of books before I go.

So post your favorite book or reading material, maybe a short description about it's content. Help me find my next good read.

My last 2 books were:

Bobby Fischer Goes to War: How A Lone American Star Defeated the Soviet Chess Machine

It's a good read if you like chess and crazy people. Fischer was a whiney, hard to deal with bitch that was a brilliant chess player. Perfect person to keep the cameras on.

1984: Centennial Edition

This was a re-read for me. Haven't read Orwell's 1984 in about 10 years so I thought I'd give it another go. I enjoyed it exponentially more this time than I did at age 16.

So since everybody is about to go traveling I was interested to know what everyone is reading these days. I'm not going to the meat but I have a 9 hour ride to D.C. in front of me on Friday and I want to go get a couple of books before I go.

So post your favorite book or reading material, maybe a short description about it's content. Help me find my next good read.

My last 2 books were:

Bobby Fischer Goes to War: How A Lone American Star Defeated the Soviet Chess Machine

It's a good read if you like chess and crazy people. Fischer was a whiney, hard to deal with bitch that was a brilliant chess player. Perfect person to keep the cameras on.

1984: Centennial Edition

This was a re-read for me. Haven't read Orwell's 1984 in about 10 years so I thought I'd give it another go. I enjoyed it exponentially more this time than I did at age 16.

I'm reading this: http://www.amazon.com/Heavy-Words-Lightly-Thrown-Behind/dp/B000FZDKSY/sr=8-1/qid=1160579641/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-7412712-4893519?ie=UTF8

It's very interesting. The book is about the meaning of Nursery Rhymes, it talks about what the certain rhymes are about. Most of them are political satires so it’s very neat. Also, the man who wrote this book has a tour that he gives in England. Which is neat to me.

I'm reading this: http://www.amazon.com/Heavy-Words-Lightly-Thrown-Behind/dp/B000FZDKSY/sr=8-1/qid=1160579641/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-7412712-4893519?ie=UTF8

It's very interesting. The book is about the meaning of Nursery Rhymes, it talks about what the certain rhymes are about. Most of them are political satires so it’s very neat. Also, the man who wrote this book has a tour that he gives in England. Which is neat to me.

:cool:

Do they discuss the rhyme about the man from Nantucket?

I am currently reading The Thirteenth Tale
By Diane Setterfield.

It is a really good book, if you like stories and you like reading. Part of the draw of this book, is that it talks on the love and passion people have with books and with stories. It is not a deep or life changing book, but it is good and entertaining.

I would also recommend the book Life of Pi by Yann Marte. If you have not read this yet, you should. This is an amazing book.

Reading this now:
0393020185.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Last read:
freakonomics.jpg

I just finished Cryptonomicron.
I hated almost every minute of its 800 pages. I'm so glad that I'm done

I am currently reading The Looming Tower: Al-Qaeda and the Road to 9/11. So far its very good. It goes into the whole background of fundamental Islam's recent creation and how bin Laden actually formed al-Queda. Its making me realize more and more how unwinnable this war is for us.

And reading Freakonomics: A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything. Wonderfully interesting book about the crazy side of economic relationships. For instance, how Roe v Wade reduced the crime rate in the 1990s and how sumo wrestlers cheat. Really :cool:.

On deck, I've got State of Denial: Bush at War, Part III. This is another in Woodward's series about the Iraq war. I can't wait to start it.

The Canterbury Tales in its original Old English.

haha, I have a book of it in Old English, early Modern English, and the English of today. Completely insane how that used to be considered English. It doesn't even look close to anything written or spoken today.