Ontopic Random Computer-Electronics Thread

Nerds, I need your help.

I've got a friend's netbook with a 32GB eMMC. As is the case with lots of these pieces of shit, it's out of space due to Windows. My friend installed an SSD, but I can't get the damn thing to boot off it.

* If I erase the OS on the eMMC, it won't boot at all
* If I reinstall Windows on C, the BIOS will *only* boot off the eMMC drive or a USB thumb drive. No other options.
* If I try to point the BCD shit at the D drive, I get this error.

I even tried to install GRUB to see if I could get it to boot D. I'm sure this is some weird UEFI shit, but I don't see a way to enable legacy boot in the BIOS either. Hell, I even tried to see if Windows could extend the system partition to another drive, as that would also fix the issue - but it won't.

Ideas?

Nerds, I need your help.

I've got a friend's netbook with a 32GB eMMC. As is the case with lots of these pieces of shit, it's out of space due to Windows. My friend installed an SSD, but I can't get the damn thing to boot off it.

* If I erase the OS on the eMMC, it won't boot at all
* If I reinstall Windows on C, the BIOS will *only* boot off the eMMC drive or a USB thumb drive. No other options.
* If I try to point the BCD shit at the D drive, I get this error.

I even tried to install GRUB to see if I could get it to boot D. I'm sure this is some weird UEFI shit, but I don't see a way to enable legacy boot in the BIOS either. Hell, I even tried to see if Windows could extend the system partition to another drive, as that would also fix the issue - but it won't.

Ideas?
i bet its got a hidden partition on the eMMC thats contains the bootloader. Its also possible that its hardbaked into the BIOS. The SSD shows up in BIOS?

Whats the netbook model?

i bet its got a hidden partition on the eMMC thats contains the bootloader. Its also possible that its hardbaked into the BIOS. The SSD shows up in BIOS?

Whats the netbook model?
The eMMC has been wiped (and I can reinstall to that drive without issue). It's totally baked into the OS to boot from eMMC (but I still should be able to point it at D dammit). SSD does not show up in BIOS.

ASUS L402S

I think you havent fully formatted the eMMC and its still got the windows boot sector on it. What are you using to format it?

The Windows install. It sees it (and I deleted it). Its a 100MB FAT partition.
Possible that the laptop BIOS will only boot off the eMMC, period.

I'd go the bootloader-in-eMMC route. Clover is a common bootloader for getting non-NVMe machines to boot off NVMe drives, and it'll handle UEFI.

Possible that the laptop BIOS will only boot off the eMMC, period.

I'd go the bootloader-in-eMMC route. Clover is a common bootloader for getting non-NVMe machines to boot off NVMe drives, and it'll handle UEFI.
You are correct, it will not boot from the other drive at all, only eMMC. My boot knowledge is a bit light beyond the boot.ini days. :lol: Any ideas how to actually implement this?

I found a couple of forum posts for that exact model of laptop where folks did get it booting off an SSD, but of course in true forum nature, never posted how they did it other than "clone the windows drive"

You never mentioned what partition software you were using. Lots of them wont see the GPT partition or hidden eMMC specific boot partitions. You definitely need to use one outside the OS, bootable from flash at a minimum

I found a couple of forum posts for that exact model of laptop where folks did get it booting off an SSD, but of course in true forum nature, never posted how they did it other than "clone the windows drive"

You never mentioned what partition software you were using. Lots of them wont see the GPT partition or hidden eMMC specific boot partitions. You definitely need to use one outside the OS, bootable from flash at a minimum
I promise you that the drive has been deleted. Windows setup sees all the partitions. And as soon as I delete the EFI partition (and the rest of them) on the eMMC, the boot option disappears in the BIOS.

Its been a long time since i was in the business, and netbooks are a special kind of fucky, but there is ALL kinds of stuff on drives that normal partition tools dont see. Including stuff in sectors 0 to -10 that almost nothing can see.

Its been a long time since i was in the business, and netbooks are a special kind of fucky, but there is ALL kinds of stuff on drives that normal partition tools dont see. Including stuff in sectors 0 to -10 that almost nothing can see.
I just checked again with gparted. Nothing that Windows can't see.

i just thought of something. Is secure boot enabled in the BIOS? That would lock you to the approved device which could be the eMMC

Netbooks belong in the trash
I had an aspire one years ago. If you played music through the speakers the shitty plastic frame would resonate and buzz, and it'd vibrate the hard drive and cause read errors. I ended up throwing a SSD in mine, a job that involves taking the whole fucking motherboard out, and I spent the whole time wondering why the fuck I was even bothering.

The netbook fly's got is one of the better ones, I'd like to see it work, but yeah, who the fuck knows what'll happen.

I'd boot the thing into a Debian live USB stick and use its UEFI tools to poke around.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly and Domon