Ontopic Random Computer-Electronics Thread

What about this speaker set: Amazon product ASIN B001202C44
looking right at it I searched the reviews for "midrange." good reviews overall, but some said it's light between midrange & bass. & tbh, you've got to expect some of that with that size speaker. What I LOVE about it for you, is down the road, in 7.2 you could pick up a pair of bigger speakers to fill that space in - later.

BUT - if you were going that route, I'd recommend this for $350 https://www.accessories4less.com/ma...-watts-networking-a/v-receiver-w/heos/1.html? Denon is moving on to the 3400/3500h now, and that's a smokin' price for the 2400 (compare it to the 1400h).

• Gravy
Reactions: adi
looking right at it I searched the reviews for "midrange." good reviews overall, but some said it's light between midrange & bass. & tbh, you've got to expect some of that with that size speaker. What I LOVE about it for you, is down the road, in 7.2 you could pick up a pair of bigger speakers to fill that space in - later.

BUT - if you were going that route, I'd recommend this for $350 https://www.accessories4less.com/ma...-watts-networking-a/v-receiver-w/heos/1.html? Denon is moving on to the 3400/3500h now, and that's a smokin' price for the 2400 (compare it to the 1400h).
I already purchased the 1400 receiver from Crutchfield. :/

Yeah I got a fish tape and fiberglass pull rods. Problem is I don't know how wide of a hole the electrician drilled through the subfloor into the bottom plate of the stud wall. I need to pull at least 3 cat5e and some speaker wire for rear speakers (might as well do that now). So like 3/4" hole is needed or several. I might be able to drill down through the stud wall into the basement, I haven't pulled the faceplate to see if sparky used a LV mudring or actual work box.

Ceiling cat watches you masterbate.

Indeed.

I would hope a high percentage. Such a useful tool.

Actually have just one, but really need to get a longer one. (that's what she said)

regular dozen
Thank you for some sane responses. We should mark this day on the calendar "UF seemed almost normal Day".

Yeah, no telling what the last guy did. I don't "know" you, so I probably assumed the worst on the handy scale. :oops: Sounds like you are all set, just have to get down to it to really know what it will take. Carry on!

Agreed. <3
OK, fine. Let's assume an integer byte, a 6 drive array, and 2 way parity (P and Q). So, we're going to store 4 bytes and the two parity bytes:
D0 = 8, D1 = 12, D2 = 3, and D3 = 7 .

P = 8 + 12 + 3 + 7 = 30
Q = 1*8 + 2*12 + 3*3 + 4*7 = 69

If we lose D0, we can always recalculate:
30 = D0 + 22
8 = D0

If we lose D0 and D1, we have a slightly harder problem, but let's simplify using the knowns and collecting like terms:
D0 + D1 + 3 + 7 = 30
D0 + D1 = 20

69 = D0 + 2*D1 + 9 + 28
69 = D0 + 2*D1 + 37
D0 + 2*D1 = 32

From there, it's just a system of equations. Let's try substitution after solving for D0 in the first equation (D0 = 20 - D1) :
(20 - D1) + 2*D1 = 32
20 + D1 = 32
D1 = 12

Then we'll back substitute:
D0 = 20 - 12
D0 = 8

See? Easy peasy. The actual math uses XOR and bitshifts, but this should be easier for your apparently tiny brain to understand.

Last edited:
Oh, and in case @fly and @Duke were wondering: the actual math using XOR and bit shifting is pretty much the same. XOR is addition (without the carrying), and bit shifting is multiplying by powers of 2. Writing and calculating binary is just tedious, so I didn't do it.

The general case as you add parity words past 2 gets slightly more difficult, and explaining it involves matrix math, but the principle is the same - you can generally solve for an additional lost word for each parity word you add.
I would think that past three would definitely involve matrices, 3 is that sweet spot where it's equally a pain in the ass to do it with matrices or some other method such as substitution (provided you are doing it by hand, as soon as you're doing it with programming its turtles matrices all the way down)

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum
I would think that past three would definitely involve matrices, 3 is that sweet spot where it's equally a pain in the ass to do it with matrices or some other method such as substitution (provided you are doing it by hand, as soon as you're doing it with programming its turtles matrices all the way down)
There's also the conceit that an integer can be as big as I want, but if you pick a prime and confine everything to below it using the modulus operator, it works the same way.