Ontopic Random Computer-Electronics Thread

ibackup looked promising until I got to the page that said 10GB of backup for $10/mo.

I've got a hair over 400GB that is firmly in the "cannot lose" category.
Look more carefully at the pricing page. The promo is 500GB for the life of the plan.

iDrive is another option. https://www.idrive.com/pricing
I'm fairly certain they are the same company. Not sure why they have two separate entities. I use iDrive on my home personal computer and iBackup on my business computers.

I've been meaning to throw together a box that goes in the dog shed, using a raspberry pi and portable HD, that rsyncs my linux server over wifi.

4u is all reconfigured and cabled up as decent as can be. Will have to pull it one more time when the active coolers come in

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

• Gravy
Reactions: MadDog
The quiet is nice
204b3058dcf692576ea7dfd1757d691f.jpg
1965d22e07a1bfd2d32e017c71b96bdc.jpg

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

• Gravy
Reactions: MadDog
I realized yesterday that I haven't used the optical drive in my desktop computer in probably 3 years. Blu-ray burner that I got when I built the computer since they were cheap. I think I burned a couple CDs when I first setup the computer but that's it.

• Gravy
Reactions: my little brony
I burn the odd MP3 CD to go in the Fit. Its aux jack is broken and I couldn't be bothered to buy a FM modulator.

When the GTI hits the scrapyard I'll transplant my Empeg into it.

• Gravy
This is the coolest, most useless thing I have ever seen.

It's useless, but that's a resume item right there.

Dude's got skills in electrical, software and mechanical design, both designing shit and building it.And it's something they're doing in their own time, so you know they've got personal passion for it. And it's creative - he's got an imagination. I'd hire 'em.

It's useless, but that's a resume item right there.

Dude's got skills in electrical, software and mechanical design, both designing shit and building it.And it's something they're doing in their own time, so you know they've got personal passion for it. And it's creative - he's got an imagination. I'd hire 'em.
100% agree.

I realized yesterday that I haven't used the optical drive in my desktop computer in probably 3 years. Blu-ray burner that I got when I built the computer since they were cheap. I think I burned a couple CDs when I first setup the computer but that's it.

I just used mine today for the first time in months. last time was for the cd of xrays I got

but yeah for 30-50 bucks it adds very little to the cost of a build. better to have one and not need it than need it and not have one

• Gravy
Reactions: Josh
dafuq they had the "courage" to get rid of the headphone jack but still have optical drives?
Shit no, they haven't had optical drives in like 2 generations.

They haven't had optical drives that worked on their mobile machines since the titanium one with the ejecting drive mechanism (so, like 2001). None of the slot-loaders work after about 4 months.

• Gravy
Couldn't they get some car stereo maker to make the damn Apple slot loading drives.

CDs get loaded in and out of CD players all the time with fingers covered in takeout grease and weed resin, in dirty ass cars that never get cleaned... but rarely ever fail. Whoever engineers those CD mechanisms are gods.

• Gravy