Ontopic Random Computer-Electronics Thread

crash the whole computer = some kinda of infiniloop where it drew enough amps to overload the pci socket and or psu

Well, it's a R9 270 running on the stock PSU of this dell, could be that. Though the computer was available from Dell themselves with a R9 380.

I'm thinking I made the video card write to a bad RAM location or something.

Nope, I'm using clcreatebuffer/clenqueuewritebuffer/clenqueuereadbuffer to interface with the video card.

But I wouldn't put it past myself to find away to fuck that up.

VMware shouldn't make it that hard to determine which View desktops are being used. Took some crazy Powershell and Excel work. These guys I'm working for this week have about 2-3x as many desktops as they need cause they don't know whats not being used. #mess

/rant
I'd bet that we have the same shit with our thin clients going on.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly
Just bought 50 melamine foam 'magic eraser' things off ebay for like two bucks.

Gonna insulate the heat bed of the 3D printer with maybe half a dozen of them. Melamine's good for 200C, should do the job.

• Gravy
Reactions: my little brony
They just scrapped a server at work, and I got myself a Xeon E5645 CPU. I figure a 6 core Xeon would be a good upgrade for the home desktop.

Except fuck it's impossible to find a LGA1366 motherboard anywhere.

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum
They just scrapped a server at work, and I got myself a Xeon E5645 CPU. I figure a 6 core Xeon would be a good upgrade for the home desktop.

Except fuck it's impossible to find a LGA1366 motherboard anywhere.

im running two of those in my server right now. although i think mine are the x variant.

you gotta ebay 1366 boards. most of em are duallies.

Check these communities for good links:

https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?forums/great-deals.8/
https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?forums/for-sale-for-trade-want-to-buy.2/

most guys have moved on to 2011 boards since the procs are dirt fuckin cheap and super powerful.

oh, and they need ECC reg ram for the most part. But you're in luck there, as its as cheap as beer for the most part.

Yeah, all I can find is server boards. LGA1366 was the core I7 socket for a while, I can't find any shortage of leet gamer motherboard reviews from several years ago with the socket, but it seems that stuff all disappeared off the planet.

I s'pose I could snag a dual core server board, get the other xeon from the server off my co-worker (I can't see him using it), buy two coolers, probably get something better than the 400W PSU in my desktop and have a space heater with 12 cores of overkill but meh, I'm not looking to spend that kind of money or effort for something I don't really need.

I could put the server back together I guess, but it's missing the drive caddies (they pulled/destroyed the drives, caddies and all), apparently requires a different RAID controller from the one that's in it to run SATA drives instead of SAS, and it sounded like a fucking jet engine. I pulled the power supplies out of it though, 12V/56A each, they'll come in handy.

dont spend a lot.

A year or more ago, and theyve depreciated since, i paid 100 for two cpus, the board, and two heatsinks

SuperMicro Motherboard X8DTI-F System Board +2x Intel E5645 2.4GHz +2u Heat Sink

Buy It Now price:
$122.00
SWDg3NV61iF6ziwq-BDDc97i5ya6r1LkbT75IHzljdeTs3x8SxC768Eot4SHN-m4ZUWPyXec7DdzdL7feCUH1CpWKg=s0-d-e1-ft

Your offer price: $100.00

• Gravy
Reactions: Valve1138
Yeah, all I can find is server boards. LGA1366 was the core I7 socket for a while, I can't find any shortage of leet gamer motherboard reviews from several years ago with the socket, but it seems that stuff all disappeared off the planet.

I s'pose I could snag a dual core server board, get the other xeon from the server off my co-worker (I can't see him using it), buy two coolers, probably get something better than the 400W PSU in my desktop and have a space heater with 12 cores of overkill but meh, I'm not looking to spend that kind of money or effort for something I don't really need.

I could put the server back together I guess, but it's missing the drive caddies (they pulled/destroyed the drives, caddies and all), apparently requires a different RAID controller from the one that's in it to run SATA drives instead of SAS, and it sounded like a fucking jet engine. I pulled the power supplies out of it though, 12V/56A each, they'll come in handy.

what brand is the server. Those raid cards have something called "IT mode" that makes em not SAS-server-depedent-type stuff.

https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/what-is-it-mode.328/

thats gonna be a PERC raid then. Should easily support SATA, without even flashing modes.

Id put the server back together to be honest.

Buy a "known brand manufacturer" SLA replacement - panasonic, power-sonic and BB battery are known good brands. You've probably got a battery shop in an industrial park near you that can sell them cheaper than buying them online, call around.

They'll come with bare faston tabs or lugs instead of a full wiring harness so you'll have to transfer that crap over from your old batteries.