Presents for difficult family members

kiwi

Messin’ with Sasquatch
Apr 22, 2005
Summer
Marklar
₥15,763
I have a rich sister and brother in law that make Christmas gift giving impossible. We can't afford the amount they spend on us, so just giving a gift card sucks cause it's blaringly much less then they spent (they always give us gift cards). What presents do you buy for family members that can buy whatever they want whenever they want?

I'm probably making more out of this then I should since they seem to care little about the presents we've gotten them in the past even though I put in tons of thought for them, but I'm still trying.

i love the picture idea. you could also give your photography services to them. offer to shoot the family, or something special of theirs, and frame it.

how important is it to them what you give them? like, does it matter because they will be offended if it isn't good or it's just that you want to do something nice for them since they always spend a lot on you? you might be putting too much into it.

you could also donate to a charity in their name or honor. they don't necessarily have to know how much it was that you gave them, and if they have everything anyway, maybe that'd be a new spin on gifts.

could you go to a signing of some sort? do they like to read? have a book signed for them. or a football from a football player in town. or a signed CD or something. you get my drift, i'm sure.

good luck. i know how hard it is.

Tell them you adopted a Mormon in a third world country in their name.

edit: And then buy something nice for yourself with the money.

So really you need to get them something sentimental for it to have any value to them. If you can't ever think of anything sentimental to give them, then they need to turn into the people where you just exchange cards. Have a talk with them and say you don't know what to get them, so they don't have to get you anything either. Clearly they put no thought into their gift if they're just giving you a gift card, so I don't think they'd be too broken up over it.

This is why I hate christmas. Exchanging gifts as adults sucks balls. It's fun as a kid since you don't have to do any shopping, but having to buy other people crap when they are a self sufficient adult makes no sense. And when I get shit I don't need, all it does is clutter up my house.

My family has gotten to the point that anyone over 18 has to participate in this secret santa gift thing.

This year I have my cousin of whom I see maybe once a year. At least I will only need to buy one gift for the adults in my family. (This is not counting family members such as mom, dad, sibs.)

festivus%20human%20fund%20resized%2001.jpg

I'm just going to go to Wal-Mart or somewhere, grab the first $10 gifty-type thing I see off of one of the hundred gift displays, then ship it to them.

Then I'll laugh and laugh when they open it and have to act like they're pleased.