GAY Prepare your bert hole...

We had an awesome weekend! Thank you guys so much! It was great having fly's salty liquid shot onto my body and into my mouth (again). It was very nice getting a boob inspection from Ape and seeing her jealousy come out! and it's always good when someone else takes control!

Great time and we should do that again sometime soon!

Im looking to slowly transition my home to either Insteon or X10. Z-wave is just too damn expensive, and X10 is probably out, because my electric smart meter interferes with it.

I have a bunch of zwave stuff already is my problem... Just not a gateway to tie it all to the internet.

Remember back in the days when we called this the world wide web?

I'd wager that general understanding of technology is lower than 15-20 years ago.

I wouldn't take that bet because I completely agree. People were more proficient in computers back when they were not simple.

Today, 95% of people I ask don't even know how to find a file on their computer if it's not dumped right on their desktop. Or understand file extensions, or even know how to navigate around the 'my computer' interface. They know how to click on 'bookmarks' and 'home'. That's about it.

fun fact: ive never used bookmarks.

I dont know why, i just never liked them

I use them to store articles that I find have deets that could be usefull later, but then never go back to them.

My browsing now is almost 100% based off cached URLs in my address bar.

I use them to store articles that I find have deets that could be usefull later, but then never go back to them.

My browsing now is almost 100% based off cached URLs in my address bar.

my son uses my computer, so i don't cache with my browser

I wouldn't take that bet because I completely agree. People were more proficient in computers back when they were not simple.

Today, 95% of people I ask don't even know how to find a file on their computer if it's not dumped right on their desktop. Or understand file extensions, or even know how to navigate around the 'my computer' interface. They know how to click on 'bookmarks' and 'home'. That's about it.
Bingo. When you had to know what was going on, it kept the tards away. Thanks to Steve Jobs the tech was taken out of technology and it became an easy world of happy smiling icons. MacOS was super simple from day one. It doesn't help things that most OS hide file extensions by default now too.

If you make anything idiot proof, you end up with idiots as people get used to not thinking and forget how it should work. Then if it doesn't work they can't adjust and recover. Their brain has atrophied and the knowledge is gone forever.
Depends on the parameters of the groups being compared
In today's world there are only 2 groups. IT people and everyone else. There may be an average home user who has an inkling of a clue but the majority of non IT people have no clue how tech works and no desire to learn. When their _________ stops working they throw it away and buy a new one.

The average "good with computers" person in your area at work is still a fucktard. They just know more than you so they seem SMRT. If I had 10 dollars for every computer I've fixed that had someone who "knows computers" fix it first I'd be a rich man.

I buy "broken" laptops for $30-50 on CL fairly often and use the included recovery partition to bring them back from the dead before selling them. Why pay geek squad $400 to fix it when a new one is on sale for $299? I've gotten some pretty good data on occasion too.

Tell me about the groups you're comparing.

Oh look, Fidel want's to argue another topic he has less experience with than the people discussing it.
Oh look, Duke starts off with a thinly veiled insult instead of taking something I say at face value.

It's got nothing to do with my knowledge of the material, and everything to do with relatively simple math.
15-20 years ago, computers and jobs involving computers were much less numerous than they are today. So, simply comparing how many people know anything about computers easily shows you that today there are more people that are tech-savvy than there were 15-20 years ago. Unfortunately, that doesn't really tell you how tech-savvy they are. Depending on what parameters you choose, depends on what data you get back.
Say you choose people with certifications in various computer fields. On one end you have 1 certification, on the other end you have n certifications, where n is the total number of certifications in existence at that time period. 15-20 years ago, you'll have a much smaller sample size, but you'll have a fairly standard looking bell-curve. Apply the same limitations to today's world and you'll get a bell-curve that (very likely) looks almost exactly the same once you factor in how many more certifications there are in today's world and how many more tech-savvy people there are.

You'll likely get a) the same bell-curves, or b) very similar bell-curves for all factors you choose when you examine that time period vs today's time period.

It isn't that overall there are more people that are tech-savvy or less, it's that the sample size of today vs yester-year has grown so much that you're constantly running into people on the low end of the bell-curve, so it's skewing your viewpoint.

In short, "get off my lawn, you damned kids!"