Possible apartments in Houston

dbzeag

Wants to kiss you where it stinks
Jun 9, 2006
Marklar
₥1,014
So here is the front runner for apartments I am looking at in Houston for my transfer. I thought some might be interested.

http://www.wynhavenattownewest.com/site_towne_west/index.htm

More exactly this unit:

http://www.wynhavenattownewest.com/site_towne_west/graphics/north_haven-towne_west.pdf

Monsterous room sizes (one bed one bath with 1017sq ft), nice area, close to work, $699 and there is a $500 off first month special running.

Thoughts? Know any other good places in the Sugar Land area?

if you are having movers carry your stuff, go for the top floor...the majority of noise is through the ceiling from people above. Also, ask about how the walls are insulated between your unit and others, try to minimize shared walls if you have the option.

Look at your proximity of your potential unit to the complex's dumpster...it sucks to have to carry a bag of trash 200 yards through the rain. Is parking plentiful? also sucks to have to walk a half mile to your car.

Another fun thing is to drive in there on a friday night and saturday night around 10pm and see who's throwing noisy and loud parties near your unit, or those that take up all the parking.

Just some ideas, i've used these tricks when i was apartment hopping the last few years.

oh, and the floor plan looks great, i've not seen better positioning of the laundry in an apartment. That is the furthest it can be from your bedroom and in it's own room with a door. love the position of the breakfast nook too.

if you are having movers carry your stuff, go for the top floor...the majority of noise is through the ceiling from people above. Also, ask about how the walls are insulated between your unit and others, try to minimize shared walls if you have the option.

Look at your proximity of your potential unit to the complex's dumpster...it sucks to have to carry a bag of trash 200 yards through the rain. Is parking plentiful? also sucks to have to walk a half mile to your car.

Another fun thing is to drive in there on a friday night and saturday night around 10pm and see who's throwing noisy and loud parties near your unit, or those that take up all the parking.

Just some ideas, i've used these tricks when i was apartment hopping the last few years.

Yes, we will have movers (provided by my company actually). The second and third (top) floors have carpeted living rooms just for the noise. Disappointing as I wanted all wood throughout, but oh well.

The units only have 2 shared walls, at least with this design, so that's ok.

Lots of parking at each building site, and a dumpster at each building as well. I can't really go down there on a weekend as I am in a different state right now until move date, so I can't really watch for that.

oh, and the floor plan looks great, i've not seen better positioning of the laundry in an apartment. That is the furthest it can be from your bedroom and in it's own room with a door. love the position of the breakfast nook too.

I like the fact that you can enter into the bathroom without having to go through the bedroom. That is surprisingly rare in the layouts I saw.

Wow, I'm not familiar with the Houston market, but in DFW getting anything for less than $1/s.f. is a great deal. The area doesn't look too shoddy either, and it's close to a couple major roads to give you options when there's a wreck on one. I also love the layout. The extra area you're getting are what adds the nice touches like a utility room and large enough bathroom to have two doors connecting to both bedroom and living area. Looks like you have a lot of counter space in the kitchen also, and it's nice to have an entry closet actually large enough to store stuff in.

Live on the ground floor. That way you can buy things like gun safes or new furniture without the horrendous pain in the ass of stairs.

Aside from the smart A$$ comments, yes it does look nice. over 1k sq feet on a one bedroom? Those rooms must be really nice sized.