Ontopic Poo-litical Thrad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just saying, not everyone can afford to be prepared for a disaster. Especially one like this.
Oh, I totally agree with that. Sadly, the poors will probably get their power on last. This is why they're not the ones able to cry on the Internet about it.
Downton Abbey Insult GIF by PeacockTV

• Sad
Reactions: Strings
What about folks who live in apartments with extremely limited space, cash and resources?

2 weeks worth of food and enough water to at least drink, cook with no more than necessary, and wash your stinky bits with a rag once in a while can easily fit in cupboards, pantrys, in the back of closets, under beds, behind couches, or whatever other cubby holes there are. I did it living in apartments for a long time.

Talking calorie rationing, camping style living, and being frugal here. Not using stuff the way one would when things are normal.

As far as the money part people piss that stuff away on things that are not necessities every day. I don't think providing ones self things like food and water is too much to ask. Whatever you already buy that's shelf stable just pick up an extra or two and put them back. It adds up in no time. Tap water stores just fine too, you don't need to go broke stockpiling bottled water, that would be dumb.

• Gravy
Reactions: adi and wetwillie
2 weeks worth of food and enough water to at least drink, cook with no more than necessary, and wash your stinky bits with a rag once in a while can easily fit in cupboards, pantrys, in the back of closets, under beds, behind couches, or whatever other cubby holes there are. I did it living in apartments for a long time.

Talking calorie rationing, camping style living, and being frugal here. Not using stuff the way one would when things are normal.

As far as the money part people piss that stuff away on things that are not necessities every day. I don't think providing ones self things like food and water is too much to ask. Whatever you already buy that's shelf stable just pick up an extra or two and put them back. It adds up in no time. Tap water stores just fine too, you don't need to go broke stockpiling bottled water, that would be dumb.

But some people barely live paycheck to paycheck. There is no extra. Once the bills are paid what's left could be barely enough to eat once a day until the next check.

But some people barely live paycheck to paycheck. There is no extra. Once the bills are paid what's left could be barely enough to eat once a day until the next check.

I know. I lived that way for a long time too. I'm actually not all that far away from it right now if we want to be frank. I still managed to have enough food, water, and other supplies to not die if society had a hiccup, both then and now.

Things might get hard to follow if we both be frank. One of us should be Steve or something.

• Haha
Reactions: adi and wetwillie
Ok when I lived in my car I didn't have 2 weeks worth of stuff, space was limited, but I still had a few days worth of stuff, and knew where to get more for free.
It's out there.

• Gravy
Reactions: adi
Ok when I lived in my car I didn't have 2 weeks worth of stuff, space was limited, but I still had a few days worth of stuff, and knew where to get more for free.
It's out there.

But what if you had kids to take care of as well as yourself on that same tiny paycheck I mentioned. Everyone has different circumstances I guess.

But what if you had kids to take care of as well as yourself on that same tiny paycheck I mentioned. Everyone has different circumstances I guess.
Hips and I get that, and of course some folks don't have any extra. We're just getting a little judgy-fudgy on those who could have a little extra set aside and don't. Everybody on this forum should be able to pull off having $50/person of staples set aside. Heat and light are tougher, depending. We need to send relief to Texas, setup temporary shelters, whatever. Sucks that it will put a bunch of people in close contact with each other.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer and adi
what did i say a few days ago?
texans should jump in their cars and drive 7 blocks south to sunny mexico which i guarantee has electricity + power.
the solution is right there, literally on the other side of that cool wall they built
Tammy-Alley - many parts of Mexico get their electricity from Texas. They're fucked too.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
It's hard to believe a millimetre of snow can fuck up a place this much tbh. And as for living without utilities I've done that for months before in squats, it wasn't a dire situation. Humans have lived without electricity for the majority of history.
The US has been hollowed out for profits over the last half of a century, everything except our military is pretty much threadbare. (Efficient, until one thing goes wrong.)

All the folk ranting about "freedom" are unwittingly supporting the elites' and corporations' freedom to trample all over the folk.

It is indeed tougher with kids. Also all the more reason to do it when you're responsible for more than just yourself.
I know there's "some" that just plain can't. There's a lot more that could but won't.

Status
Not open for further replies.