Ontopic Poo-litical Thrad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cliffs: Yeah, there's plenty of shit the military can charge you with that doesn't violate the double jeopardy clause of the 5th Amendment to the Constitution.
yeah it's my understanding as well what you said the first time, that even if it's the same specific type of thing they're being charged with, it's a different "level" so it wouldn't be double jeopardy anyway, and most times when that doesn't happen (like with state and federal charges where they only pursue federal), it's more of a convenience get it over with thing where they go with the harshest/highest.

and yeah I've always understood the UCMJ to be harsher, like you can get brig time for adultery (which I think you also can get jail time for in some states but I think it's exceedingly rare).

So, question, if someone on active military duty took part in the actual attack, do they face a military court or civilian?
And, do they face a harsher penalty since they have sworn an oath to protect our country from such things?
They are subject to both jurisdictions and punishment from both. Usually the home base will work with civilian prosecutors to reach an agreement that works for both entities.
You normally see it with DUIs, but I could see there being cooperation with something like this.

yeah it's my understanding as well what you said the first time, that even if it's the same specific type of thing they're being charged with, it's a different "level" so it wouldn't be double jeopardy anyway, and most times when that doesn't happen (like with state and federal charges where they only pursue federal), it's more of a convenience get it over with thing where they go with the harshest/highest.

and yeah I've always understood the UCMJ to be harsher, like you can get brig time for adultery (which I think you also can get jail time for in some states but I think it's exceedingly rare).

Even if the military let civilian courts charge you with the main crime (storming the capitol, vandalism, etc), they will still nail you with shit. Like reduction in rank, dishonorable discharge, etc. Just unlikely (though technically possible) you can serve jail time in a civilian prison and then a military one.

• Gravy
Reactions: august
there were two main flexcuffs dudes photographed & I think you're mixing them together

Eric Munchel was the one who brought his mom, and afaik he is an out-of-work bartender

View attachment 13228

the retired Lt. Col is Larry Brock, seen below in the helmet; he's the one claiming both that he just found the flexcuffs and picked them up to turn over to a cop, and also that he assumed he was totally free and clear to enter, he that was allowed :lol:

View attachment 13229
you appear to be right, thank you. Didnt realize there was two zip-ties dude.

Well, it's obvious none of these people stayed at a Holiday Inn the night before.

Actually, I read that one of them did.

you appear to be right, thank you. Didnt realize there was two zip-ties dude.
there were probably more but those are the two who got put on blast most on the internet and have already been identified. I think there's a Ronan Farrow piece on the Lt. Col

lmao have we talked about this yet?

• Gravy
Reactions: tre
So is this impeachment going to happen in the end?
Probably, but I don't think they have the votes to convict. 2/3 majority is required to convict. To impeach (formerly accuse), I believe only requires a simple majority. Given the unlikelihood of a senate trial happening before inauguration day, the best they can really hope for is to bar him from public office (must convict first).

Censure (formal reprimand) is basically the only thing that has a chance of passing both the House and Senate.

• Gravy
Reactions: Domon

jesus fucking christ this is the same shit I've been screaming about

fascists do fascist shit and liberals are more concerned with their image of "taking the high road" and catering to these fucking fascists, and all they're doing is sending the message that there are no real consequences for this shit

jesus fucking christ this is the same shit I've been screaming about

fascists do fascist shit and liberals are more concerned with their image of "taking the high road" and catering to these fucking fascists, and all they're doing is sending the message that there are no real consequences for this shit

Everyone knows rules are for the commoners. This why I'm switching to independent. Give me 5 min, and I will find a handful of things that either side did that piss me off.

• Gravy
Reactions: Peppers
Status
Not open for further replies.