Ontopic Poo-litical Thrad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't usually conspiracy theory but yeah, I think you are close to the truth on this one brother.
Maybe not "make" - more like entice.
Jack Nicholson in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's NEst,"Between you and me, uh, she might have been fifteen, but when you get that little red beaver right up there in front of you, I don't think it's crazy at all and I don't think you do either. No man alive could resist that.
No. I can resist temptation, because I have self control.

Your whole line of reasoning is straight down the "She was asking for it for wearing that dress" vein.

• Gravy
Reactions: pacojas
No. I can resist temptation, because I have self control.

Your whole line of reasoning is straight down the "She was asking for it for wearing that dress" vein.
It was sarcasm reflecting the weakness of some of those guys. I've had to resist a few times, including a 16 yr. old who, unexpectedly & unsolicited, forcefully grabbed me, started digging for my tonsils and jerking my carrot. DA FUCK!!! * I officiated at her wedding back at June.
We are allowed occasional off topic.

Term limits.

Yeah, we’ll agree to disagree on that part. I’ve never understood why, in any other profession, people are applauded for career longevity but not in politics. What other jobs are there where you’re only allowed to be there for X amount of time?

I’m also for mandatory retirement at age 65 for everyone regardless of financial status. We just need a stronger system for that, and that will never happen due to the isolationist culture currently being cultivated.

Yeah, we’ll agree to disagree on that part. I’ve never understood why, in any other profession, people are applauded for career longevity but not in politics. What other jobs are there where you’re only allowed to be there for X amount of time?

I’m also for mandatory retirement at age 65 for everyone regardless of financial status. We just need a stronger system for that, and that will never happen due to the isolationist culture currently being cultivated.
Do nothing senators and representatives can serve for life but a president can only serve two terms... Yeah, we will agree to disagree.

Do nothing senators and representatives can serve for life but a president can only serve two terms... Yeah, we will agree to disagree.

They only serve “for life” if they are elected. The voters and the system we’ve allowed to be created are to blame.

Edit add: POTUS are set for life after they leave office. Congresspersons who serve two terms have to job hunt.

Mandatory retirement?
You gonna arrest people for going to work?

Under your system my vet would've been a criminal the last dozen or so years. Guy finally sold his practice at age 77 and Still comes in twice a week to work on critters.
Some folks like what they do.

My own folks both worked past 65. Forcing people to retire is ridiculous.

Mandatory retirement?
You gonna arrest people for going to work?

Under your system my vet would've been a criminal the last dozen or so years. Guy finally sold his practice at age 77 and Still comes in twice a week to work on critters.
Some folks like what they do.

My own folks both worked past 65. Forcing people to retire is ridiculous.

The ADEA was passed in 1967, but never really took hold.

Should employers be in trouble when they hire “illegals”? The employer is the one who should also be at fault, or entirely.

Oh the humanity!!

Would you be okay trying as hard as some of them do for a job that’ll only last for a few years? What kind of quality do you expect to find? LOL. We have enough of those people using congress as a springboard to a higher-paying job, and that’s all we’d have if term limits are set.

Enough of these fuckers are wholly owned by corporations, it would just be worse with term limits.

How about term limits for EVERY job?

The ADEA was passed in 1967, but never really took hold.

Should employers be in trouble when they hire “illegals”? The employer is the one who should also be at fault, or entirely.

Making it so they can't hire people over 65 IS forced retirement.

People that have their own business or are self-employed, you gonna force them to sell or shut down?

There isn't a single person that left Congress poorer than they went in. Most of them aquire wealth far beyond their salaries.
It's supposed to be a public service not a career.

Making it so they can't hire people over 65 IS forced retirement.

People that have their own business or are self-employed, you gonna force them to sell or shut down?

If they own their own business, who cares? They can do whatever they want.

If given the choice between mandatory retirement at age 65 and the ability to retire comfortably vs working until death, I'm almost sure most people would choose option A. I’m not going to take the Google route, but in my opinion, most people working past age 65 are doing it because they have to in order to eat, etc.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
There isn't a single person that left Congress poorer than they went in. Most of them squire wealth far beyond their salaries.
It's supposed to be a public service not a career.

Why can’t public service BE a career? Cops don’t have term limits.

What you mention isn’t the problem. Being allowed to make extra money while in office is the problem.

Why can’t public service BE a career? Cops don’t have term limits.

What you mention isn’t the problem. Being allowed to make extra money while in office is the problem.

We don't need all these cops either.

No term limits gets you people like McConnell and Pelosi.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
Why can’t public service BE a career?
Sometimes it is. Person who goes to work for a charity, say Habitat for Humanity(my daughter, social sciences degree) is doing public service. Of course, there is the person with same degree who goes to work for Department of Social Services and basically spends their days trying to tear families apart unless the can prove they are good enough to keep together. Their motto is "befriend and betray."

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
Status
Not open for further replies.