Ontopic Poo-litical Thrad

Sometimes it is. Person who goes to work for a charity, say Habitat for Humanity(my daughter, social sciences degree) is doing public service. Of course, there is the person with same degree who goes to work for Department of Social Services and basically spends their days trying to tear families apart unless the can prove they are good enough to keep together. Their motto is "befriend and betray."

Should she also have term limits?

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
If they own their own business, who cares? They can do whatever they want.

If given the choice between mandatory retirement at age 65 and the ability to retire comfortably vs working until death, I'm almost sure most people would choose option A. I’m not going to take the Google route, but in my opinion, most people working past age 65 are doing it because they have to in order to eat, etc.
Underlined part - or they are hoping to push out retirement to 67,68,70 so they get the maximum benefit.
*If you or a loved one are injured, NEVER draw social security without applying for Social Security Disability first - that is crucial, could mean 10s of thousands in the difference. Sure you won't add to your total benefit since you're not working, BUT, your SS benefit isn't locked in because it's a different system. So cruise along on SSD, then switch to regular SS at the latest date you can wait to. Fo Mo Money.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
Should she also have term limits?
My daughter - no, she'll change jobs every few years like me I fear - she's now studying occupational therapy and sign language. She's the sweet fluffy bunny of the family, wants to save every dog at the shelter, help every hurt person. I'm glad she is moving away from social work - much of it appears to be soul crushing AF.
Public Social workers - 5 years and out. Nobody can remain impartial after seeing that much fucked up stuff. They need to go chill for a few years at least before re-entering the ring. Ditto for cops.

Last edited:
  • Gravy
Y'all have term limits on your elected officials... their term ends when the public decides they aren't fit for office anymore.

If someone's competent and dedicated to the job they're doing, let them serve as long as they want.

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum
Dad worked until Mom was old enough to retire (5 years difference). She kept working part time for awhile after that.

When they came up with social security the average life expectancy for a man was 62, woman 65.
Maths.

• Gravy
I would’ve asked what capacity her “public service” is. It sounds voluntary and unpaid in your description,
Nah, $35k per year. She is one of the people of first contact, set the folks up for the next stage. For fun she goes and builds houses with them and volunteers at a dog shelter. She's high enough up the food chain they post her face and contact info on their website. No bottom of the pack type shit.

• Gravy
Reactions: Immigrant
Underlined part - or they are hoping to push out retirement to 67,68,70 so they get the maximum benefit.
*If you or a loved one are injured, NEVER draw social security without applying for Social Security Disability first - that is crucial, could mean 10s of thousands in the difference. Sure you won't add to your total benefit since you're not working, BUT, your SS benefit isn't locked in because it's a different system. So cruise along on SSD, then switch to regular SS at the latest date you can wait to. Fo Mo Money.

My desire/dream of mandatory retirement would require an overhaul of everything, including rolling back tax rates and income disparity back to what it was pre-Ronnie Raygun. Look how much sway rich people have. When Drumph proposed his tax cuts, the top wasn’t getting any until they complained that they were “being punished for success”, and Trump relented and gave them one.

Society doesn’t want to pay. For anything.

• Gravy
Y'all have term limits on your elected officials... their term ends when the public decides they aren't fit for office anymore.

If someone's competent and dedicated to the job they're doing, let them serve as long as they want.
A. The public is never sure who is fit/competent due to politics and the BS it spews forth.
B Expert politicians(hahahahah) are dedicated to the good money, control,etc. They get to be socialites without throwing any parties or keeping up with the Jones.
Layperson politicians eventually graduate to expert or stay at the lowest ranks. Or quit. ;)

• Gravy
Would you be okay trying as hard as some of them do for a job that’ll only last for a few years? What kind of quality do you expect to find? LOL. We have enough of those people using congress as a springboard to a higher-paying job, and that’s all we’d have if term limits are set.

Enough of these fuckers are wholly owned by corporations, it would just be worse with term limits.

How about term limits for EVERY job?
You have it backwards. They are owned by corporations because they don't have term limits. These lifers are bought and paid for by corporate America / lobbyist who spend millions every election to keep the status quo going and to keep these people in office to do their bidding. Senators and House members earn a pension after 5 years of service. I think they'll be able to survive after they return to the real world.

You have it backwards. They are owned by corporations because they don't have term limits. These lifers are bought and paid for by corporate America / lobbyist who spend millions every election to keep the status quo going and to keep these people in office to do their bidding. Senators and House members earn a pension after 5 years of service. I think they'll be able to survive after they return to the real world.

who's not seeing this?

• Haha
a republic.
re·pub·lic
/rəˈpəblik/

noun
noun: republic; plural noun: republics
  1. a state in which supreme power is held by the people and their elected representatives, and which has an elected or nominated president rather than a monarch.

Your "supreme power" is held by the wealthy people and their corporations.

It's capitalism, baby.