Pluto no longer a planet?

Haven't they been having this debate off and on for quite some time now? I remember hearing a year or so ago that some people thought it should no longer be considered a planet.

kiwi said:
Haven't they been having this debate off and on for quite some time now? I remember hearing a year or so ago that some people thought it should no longer be considered a planet.
Its actually been debated since it was discovered in ~1930...

fly said:
Its actually been debated since it was discovered in ~1930...
No, when they discovered it they thought it was actually a lot larger than it is. It's been heavily debated since the late 90's... when Clyde Tombaugh, it's discoverer died (1997). Until then, there really wasn't much of a fuss about it out of respect to the guy...

I love fark headlines.

A month after Paris Hilton says she will abstain from sex for a year, this headline comes out: "Percentage of people with herpes drops." Coincidence?

Runaway tortoise covers five miles in six weeks, setting a new tortoise land speed record. Snail on back reported to have said, "Wheeeee!"

Woman refuses rabies shots for her kids -- after home found infested with bats. Says her "faith" will protect them. Oh Lord, which art in Florida, how hilarity doth ensue

Sarcasmo said:
As I understand it, it is THE reason.
Well there is the size thing too

in the case of astronomy... size does matter

edit: here it is

The newly-accepted definition says a planet must be not only spherical, but also must have cleared away all other objects in its vicinity. Its gravitational force must either have either pulled them in and absorbed them or flung them away. The icy, distant bodies Pluto, Charon, and Xena orbit among thousands of other similar bodies in a region of the solar system beyond Neptune called the Kuiper Belt. Furthermore, Pluto’s orbit overlaps Neptune’s. Ceres circles among a large number of astreroids. In each case, these dwarfs are too small to exert enough gravity to give them more space.

http://mensnewsdaily.com/2006/08/23/pluto-demoted-no-longer-a-planet/

lol mens news daily

Last edited:
Disney's Seven Dwarves issuing a statement in reaction to the news that Pluto had been demoted to a dwarf planet. "Although we think it's DOPEY that Pluto has been downgraded to a dwarf planet, which has made some people GRUMPY and others just SLEEPY, we are not BASHFUL in saying we would be HAPPY if Disney's Pluto would join us as an eighth dwarf. We think this is just what the DOC ordered and is nothing to SNEEZE at," the dwarf collective said. Just what Snow White needs--another little man in her life.

Maybe funny related story...

I was driving home yesterday and noticed that some had put graffiti on a brand new bridge that is still under construction. It read:

"Pluto is not a planet!"

Thought it was an odd thing to do. I only found it funny because of the jokes being made on this board about Pluto.

I was in the area again today so I took a picture of it...

pluto_graffiti.jpg