People Who Have Been Working at the Same Company for Years

APRIL

Feel Free to Pee on Me
Sep 30, 2004
Houston
Marklar
₥60,587
HOW THE HELL DO YOU DO IT?

I've been here a year on the 29th, the longest I've ever stayed at one job. I'm so freaking bored/ansy. How do you keep your interest in the same company?

I've had one "promotion" into another field within the company, yet I'm already bored with it.

I would hate to keep job jumping, but the same day in day out crap must get to all of us.

My last job kept me pretty interested, as the work was always different from day to day. I stayed there 10 years, and to show their appreciation they handed me a layoff notice.

it takes work and patience just like a relationship with a SO...it will have it's ups and downs, no doubt...the challenge is keeping it fresh and new

why_ask_why said:
it takes work and patience just like a relationship with a SO...it will have it's ups and downs, no doubt

Relationships and work seem to be completely different things though. Relationships are based on feelings and such. Work is based on what you think is logical and what needs to be done so you can live your life.

Hold on I'm still pulling shit outta my ass.

April23 said:
Relationships and work seem to be completely different things though. Relationships are based on feelings and such. Work is based on what you think is logical and what needs to be done so you can live your life.

LOOK OUT FOR THE LEMONHEAD.

i think the good thing is that you're relatively young and finding out what you do/don't enjoy in a work place. i think this is where it comes in handy to be in a big company where there's room to grow/move around. that keeps you challenged.

maybe you just need a job that's not so stationary. keep yourself challenged.

Thorn Bird said:
i think the good thing is that you're relatively young and finding out what you do/don't enjoy in a work place. i think this is where it comes in handy to be in a big company where there's room to grow/move around. that keeps you challenged.

maybe you just need a job that's not so stationary. keep yourself challenged.

I'm not in a big company, and when I did work in a big company the same feelings came over me.

Maybe I'm just meant to play the lottery every day and play BF2.

I taught for several years. After the 2nd year I was bored out of my mind and decided to go back to school. I ended up teaching for 4 years. When I left teaching, I had to do an internship to complete my master's. That company hired me on and on Aug 1 I started my 6th year with the company. My job changes a lot depending on what the Army training needs are and that has kept me interested.

I've been at my job for 3 1/2 years. The key for me though is that it's a family business, so I have an actual interest in how the company is run and how it performs.

Before this I hated all jobs I had and would not care how the company did. Now I actually care about my job (even if it's not the most exciting) because there is a reason to beyond the paycheck.

Plus, nepotism is awesome!

Jobs are meaningless and disposable nowadays. Companies don't care about their employees, and employees don't care about their companies.

Unless the company's name is Google.

wonko80 said:
I've been at my job for 3 1/2 years. The key for me though is that it's a family business, so I have an actual interest in how the company is run and how it performs.

Before this I hated all jobs I had and would not care how the company did. Now I actually care about my job (even if it's not the most exciting) because there is a reason to beyond the paycheck.

Plus, nepotism is awesome!

Hmm... makes sense. Need a new sister?

April23 said:
Hmm... makes sense. Need a new sister?
With benefits?

And sure, if you'd like to move to Dallas. We could in fact use a new salesman, and I have a theory that any girl in our industry will be wildly successful as a salesman. Any intelligence would be a bonus, so you'd probably kick serious ass.

April23 said:

I see your problem clearly in this statement. Work should not be what you HAVE to do, it should be something you want/like to do. That's the difference between having a job and having a career. I realize that everyone can't find this and other things in life make people hold jobs that they may not like but that's why those people end up unhappy. My advice is find something that you are passionate about and find a way to make money doing it, the rest will fall into place.

ERage said:
I see your problem clearly in this statement. Work should not be what you HAVE to do, it should be something you want/like to do. That's the difference between having a job and having a career. I realize that everyone can't find this and other things in life make people hold jobs that they may not like but that's why those people end up unhappy. My advice is find something that you are passionate about and find a way to make money doing it, the rest will fall into place.
See my last post. I solved her problem.