Panis ex meus opus

itburnswhenipee

Lonestar
May 25, 2005
Maryland
Marklar
₥797
Cook's log- stardate- three beers after supper:

So having achieved functional mastery of the lean, french style breads, I started today my first foray into the realm of thinner crusted, sandwich style breads. In order to achieve the delicate crumb required for such a delicacy one must introduce fat into the baking equation. For this experiment the fat came in the form of milk, which was used in the stead of water. The resulting dough was dryer than I am accustomed to, but I persevered and, in the end, produced the loaf pictured below.

P1010001.jpg

P1010003.jpg

This attractive, smallish loaf still cools in my kitchen laboratory. I anticipate the first slice. Already I can tell that the crust is thinner and more delicate than the hearty, chewy loaves I've grown accustomed to baking, but until it cools enough for me to plumb it's mysterious, chambered depths and inspect the structure of the crumb I cannot declare victory or defeat.

Nice. Convection oven?

I make french bread, everyone complains it tastes like a brewery. But hey... the recipe is like 200 years old.

FlamingGlory said:
Nice. Convection oven?

I make french bread, everyone complains it tastes like a brewery. But hey... the recipe is like 200 years old.

Nope. Just a plain-jane GE gas job. I bake on a large, ceramic bar tray with a pizza stone on the rack below. All that stone in the over helps even out the heat between burn cycles. At least that's what I keep telling myself.

itburnswhenipee said:
Nope. Just a plain-jane GE gas job. I bake on a large, ceramic bar tray with a pizza stone on the rack below. All that stone in the over helps even out the heat between burn cycles. At least that's what I keep telling myself.
Eh, better than mine. It is a constant battle to keep the moisture in the over high enough to get a proper crust. Someday... I will just build a bread oven and use wood:cool:

Cook's log - stardate - One beer and a slice of bread after my previous entry:

It seems that I've found a workable recipe for sandwich bread. My next experiment will be a larger loaf, incorporating a full pound of flour, and cooked in a bread pan. Naturally I shall erect an aluminum foil tent above the pan during the last fifteen minutes of baking. This should yield a more supple loaf, comparable in size and shape to ordinary white-bread, but posessing a more pleasing flavor and texture.

FlamingGlory said:
Eh, better than mine. It is a constant battle to keep the moisture in the over high enough to get a proper crust. Someday... I will just build a bread oven and use wood:cool:

You should try misting the dough with water when you put it in the oven. That helps develop a really hearty, chewy crust. Another trick is to place a pan of water on the rack below the bread. It evaporates as the baking happens and keeps a certain level of moisture in even the hottest ovens.

itburnswhenipee said:
You should try misting the dough with water when you put it in the oven. That helps develop a really hearty, chewy crust. Another trick is to place a pan of water on the rack below the bread. It evaporates as the baking happens and keeps a certain level of moisture in even the hottest ovens.
I do the former with rye bread, the latter with french (makes it mad crunchy on the outside, chewy on the inside). More delicate bread, the name of which escapes me at the moment, that needs a thin crunchy crust is the bitch.

I'm hungry now :(

itburnswhenipee said:
needs moar challah, come on jew! :p Does having a gas oven help keeping it moist as well? I understand that normally electric ovens > gas ovens, but the moisture seems like it would be good for brea...

I baked a pretty large brownie earlier tonight but blondie was unimpressed so it got the flush. And I try so hard :(

I am a decent cook, but chim is the baker. Damn that bread looks good. :drool:

PS - And by bread I mean the baker ;)