Our house, is a very very very fine house

zengirl

If I had a dollar might give ya 99
Oct 15, 2004
Marklar
₥100
with a few cats and a dog, life used to be so hard..now everything is easy 'cuz of you

:heart:

So, we're building a house. We've been looking at houses for the past couple of years, and honestly really thought a house was out of reach. As of late, property prices have really fallen around here, significanly, and on a whim I checked out this builder we visited a few years ago.

Turns out, they're on their final phase of construction, and I guess really want to gtfo since our new construction market is so dismal up here, and so they slashed their prices. Bad for current residents, good for us I guess.

So, rather than buying a pre-existing old and busted, we're building a fancy dancy new just for us... it's scary, crazy and I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that we're going to have something so nice.

Anyhoo... it's a 4 bedroom, 2.5 bath 2400 sq ft 2 story house with a 2 car garage and a 1200 sq ft basement. We pretty much loaded the thing with options because when we went to the sales guy we were like.. lets go all out and see how much it is to get everything we want... surprisingly it was in our ballpark. So we're going for it!

Well, this is our lot, it backs to a couple of ponds, some woods and wetlands. These things are permanent so we won't ever have houses back there. The other day we saw a long tailed deer running through the woods!

LotSized.JPG

It's only .25 acre, so it's a relatively small lot, but I guess that's enough for us to take care of for now since we're really not the gardening types.

This is a similar house in the neighborhood, for some reason the plan we chose isn't all that popular so we could only find 3 in the entire place. Our house will have a linen siding (cream/white) burgundy shutters and door, dark red brick and a black roof

FrontSized.JPG

This is the first floor, we've got ceramic tile going in the foyer, hallway, powder room, kitchen and breakfast area. We've upgraded the cabinets to a red cherry, all stainless steel appliances and haven't really picked out counter tops yet. We are getting the fireplace in the family room.

The Den is Ryan's computer room, he's got a ceiling fan in there and his own 20 amp circuit LOL we put a fan in the fireplace room as well. Oh and we've got the full basement (the crawl is all dug out so the whole thing is basement) with roughed in plumbing for a 3rd full bath.

fp_herdwick_1.gif

This is the 2nd floor, we're getting the super bath in our bathroom, so we'll have a door to the toilet... I think that's my favorite part about the whole house! All 4 bedrooms will be wired for reinforced overhead electrics (we can put in fans or lights)

fp_herdwick_2.gif

We signed all of the papers yesterday, put in all of our earnest money and downpayments, and they go to apply for building permits, we should be breaking ground in the next 2 or 3 weeks! We're going to hope for closing at the end of September or in October.

I'm really excited! We just kinda skipped over the whole "starter house" idea and went for it balls out.. I'm totally in shock that it's working out. Ryan really is my lucky charm, my life wouldn't be a fraction as good were it not for him. :heart:

We're having so much fun, we go visit our lot every week, we get to pick out colors and tiles and all that stuff, we're really having a great time about it!

:D Yay us!

We're so excited, and can't wait for it to be finished, we're going to have a huge housewarming party when it's all done, I think we're going to have people over as much as possible, it's going to be so much nicer than this small apartment! And all of our animals will have places to be heheheh

Are you running Cat 6 throughout with a 4 port break out in every room + a 200amp service line? You know chim and I would ;)

congrats. very exciting. did they not have an option where the garage is on the side rather than facing the street? it would also be nice if you could build closer to the street. no one uses their front yard much, so it's best if you can put all that space to use in the back yard.

Last edited:
Are you running Cat 6 throughout with a 4 port break out in every room + a 200amp service line? You know chim and I would ;)

Ugh don't give him any ideas

:lol:

I know he's putting security cameras everywhere outside

I'd get rid of that wall between the den and family room to make the FR bigger. Actually just nix that wall/door combo for the den entirely and open up that whole half of the house up.

No way, part of the reason we went with this floorplan is because it had a den with a door. We're considering soundproofing it so he can play bang bang shootemup as loud as he wants without having the sound carry througout the house.

I'm old fashioned, I like walls, separate rooms, lots of them. I'm not a big fan of open floorplans.

congrats. very exciting. did they not have an option where the garage is on the side rather than facing the street? it would also be nice if you could build closer to the street. no one uses their front yard much, so it's best if you can put all that space to use in the back yard.

I don't want to be closer to the street, nor do I like having to turn 90 degrees to get into my garage. :lol: Diff'rent strokes yanno?

I like front yards, I'm considering white picket fencing too. :p

HOW EXCITING!!! i would LOVE the opportunity to build a home...what a great thing to be able to do!!! keep us posted on the progress, and let us know if the entire process meets your expectations...the good and the bad.

super bath really makes for a screwed up hallway. :p

i'm a fan of open floorplans, but that looks like it's gonna be a decent set up. The only thing I'm really curious about is the stairs in the middle of the basement... you'll have to take pics when that's done.

Also, I agree with dbzeag, needs 2 cat6 and 2 coax jacks in everyroom in one of those 4 panel breakouts. Also put dedicated 20amp breakers in all the rooms. ;)

Might as well run like an integrated radionics security/smoke detection panel too before drywalls are up and ceiling is finished.... gah. now i wanna build my own house. i'd do all the wiring/flooring/deck myself. plumbing too for that matter. someone else can do the foundation/framing/drywalling... i might even do the roof.

btw, we recently put replaced alot of the wood flooring in my brothers house with tile and it looks absolutely awesome, you won't regret it for a minute. What's the rest of the floor gonna be? I don't think I could ever go back to carpet again...

HOW EXCITING!!! i would LOVE the opportunity to build a home...what a great thing to be able to do!!! keep us posted on the progress, and let us know if the entire process meets your expectations...the good and the bad.

Yes! We'll probably end up going out and visiting it once a week, it's only 8 minutes from where we live now so it's easy to get to. We'll take lots of pictures! :D

omfg. That is fucking HUUUUUGE. May I ask how much?

I think we're going to end up around 270-275 when it's all said and done, this is after a $44,150 discount from the builder :o

Thats very exciting, I hope LuLu gets her own room.

Side note: that song was about Joni Mitchell.

:lol: Yeah, we have to figure out what to do with all of the cats. I really don't want animals to have the run of the house, it's too much space to clean up after everyone. We might make a kitty room in the basement or something. The basement is really cool because it has full size windows.

Lu is going to stay in daycare when we aren't home and we'll probably gate off a lot of the house until we're completely sure nobody is going to sneak off and leave messes around.

super bath really makes for a screwed up hallway. :p

i'm a fan of open floorplans, but that looks like it's gonna be a decent set up. The only thing I'm really curious about is the stairs in the middle of the basement... you'll have to take pics when that's done.

Also, I agree with dbzeag, needs 2 cat6 and 2 coax jacks in everyroom in one of those 4 panel breakouts. Also put dedicated 20amp breakers in all the rooms. ;)

Might as well run like an integrated radionics security/smoke detection panel too before drywalls are up and ceiling is finished.... gah. now i wanna build my own house. i'd do all the wiring/flooring/deck myself. plumbing too for that matter. someone else can do the foundation/framing/drywalling... i might even do the roof.

btw, we recently put replaced alot of the wood flooring in my brothers house with tile and it looks absolutely awesome, you won't regret it for a minute. What's the rest of the floor gonna be? I don't think I could ever go back to carpet again...

We love the weird hallway.. oh and the bedroom #2 closet has a secret corner in it, great for nekkid hide and seek.

It's going to be a long time before we really do anything to the basement... and yeah we really aren't leaving much to do ourselves. We talked about it and pretty much agree that we'd rather move in to a great place and enjoy it right away instead of having to spend our weekends fixing stuff. :lol: We're so lazy like that!

We even have my brother living with us to do all of the outside maintenance

hehehe

Now you've got me thinking. Ape and I are gonna go check with some builders around here and see what kind of discounts they are offering. If its good, we'll use this house as a rental property...

Now you've got me thinking. Ape and I are gonna go check with some builders around here and see what kind of discounts they are offering. If its good, we'll use this house as a rental property...

OMGOSH SO EXCITING....

Living like Chikken. :omy:

I was gonna say $300k, that seems CHEAP for near Chicago..... congrats!!!

Similar size house as ours in NH actually

Yeah we really couldn't pass this up, I really don't think we'd find a similar opportunity ... well.. like... ever again! :fly:

Yeah we really couldn't pass this up, I really don't think we'd find a similar opportunity ... well.. like... ever again! :fly:

It's an excellent time to buy! Congrats. Visit often and hound them about quality construction. Read up on it. Dan and I really wish we had. We thought building a new house would eliminate all the hassle of inheriting someone else's house problems. What we learned is that a new house can have just as many problems. We had water damage not six months after we moved in. Just because it is a new home doesn't mean you shouldn't get an inspection before going to settlement. Even if you have to pay for it yourself it is worth it.

Sorry, didn't mean to rain on your parade. Building a house is very fun otherwise. Do you get to meet with the electrician? Dbzeag makes some very good points about wiring.

be sure to consider transportation costs when looking at properties. it can end up being cheaper to pay more for a place closer to work, play, or both.

Don't do anything to damage your credit before you close on the house. They usually do a credit check just before closing.

Congratulations though.
We skipped the starter house too.