Our house, is a very very very fine house

It's an excellent time to buy! Congrats. Visit often and hound them about quality construction. Read up on it. Dan and I really wish we had. We thought building a new house would eliminate all the hassle of inheriting someone else's house problems. What we learned is that a new house can have just as many problems. We had water damage not six months after we moved in. Just because it is a new home doesn't mean you shouldn't get an inspection before going to settlement. Even if you have to pay for it yourself it is worth it.

Sorry, didn't mean to rain on your parade. Building a house is very fun otherwise. Do you get to meet with the electrician? Dbzeag makes some very good points about wiring.

:heart: Yeah we've got Ryan's overbearing parents who are self proclaimed "experts" at new construction, so there will be much hounding.

be sure to consider transportation costs when looking at properties. it can end up being cheaper to pay more for a place closer to work, play, or both.

Yeah, the house is 8 minutes from where we live now, unfortunately it's further from work, but there is nothing within our price range closer to work. Even with this housing market, it's nearly impossible to get anything in the 250-275 range that isn't a condo (even those are 300+) any further south than where we are now.

I have found ONE house that was 250 and closer to work, it was 100+ years old, on less than 1/4 acre, and had 1 bathroom and was a "great for flipper" house. :lol:

Don't do anything to damage your credit before you close on the house. They usually do a credit check just before closing.

Congratulations though.
We skipped the starter house too.

Yeah we sat down with the loan guy for a few hours on Friday and he coached us. There are a few things I need to clear up on my report, otherwise we're in really good shape.

Congrats on building a house.

Thanks!!

and a free tire to boot!

I'm pretty sure 20A electrical circuits (outlets) for each room is code now anyway (light electrical circuits don't need 20A and code I think is 15A, possibly shared between rooms too).

Home run that network shit too, into the basement, frame out a small closet to put the stuff in. And if you do hire that out, make sure the electrician actually knows about computer networking cable. I run into a lot of clueless electricians who don't homerun the cables (i.e. run cable from upstairs room directly to the basement for termination, no 2nd outlet elsewhere). Network cable is still pretty cheap, even with the price of copper on the rise. Might as well throw in a lot of outlets. Couple runs for telephone too. RG-6 for all the rooms too. Fiber is a bit much IMO. Not really needed now anyway or anytime here in the next decade.

Damn if I only had the cash to buy a house or some place to live. I probably won't see this cheap housing market again in my lifetime.

Edit: if you have a bit more money to spend, insulate the interior walls around the bedrooms/rooms where loud activities take place for added sound isolation/dampening.

Last edited:
spreadsheets are my thing

duuuuuhhhh

damn, i REALLy need to get some kind of budget program..

we're doing MUCH better than six months ago, I will say that. the "envelope system" works "okay" but I still find I'm digging into DJ money that I shouldn't be.

but all in all, we have more money in savings. and more money in a sock in the sock drawer and more money going to things of substance.

but a spreadsheet with future earnings/savings/expenditures would be cool i guess.. how long the data take to enter??

*probably more time than I'd want to spend. I tracked EVERY PENNY for 90 days and it was TEDIOUS. :mad:

damn, i REALLy need to get some kind of budget program..

we're doing MUCH better than six months ago, I will say that. the "envelope system" works "okay" but I still find I'm digging into DJ money that I shouldn't be.

but all in all, we have more money in savings. and more money in a sock in the sock drawer and more money going to things of substance.

but a spreadsheet with future earnings/savings/expenditures would be cool i guess.. how long the data take to enter??

*probably more time than I'd want to spend. I tracked EVERY PENNY for 90 days and it was TEDIOUS. :mad:
It's tedius to set up, but it's a one time setup.

I do online banking, so maintenance consists of me logging into my bank everyday and entering whatever transactions have occurred.

This works best for us because Ryan is terrible at turning in receipts or even remembering when he spent money :lol:

Put in cool bookcase stairs.

bookcase-stairs.jpg

bookcase2.jpg

I wish you could do that.

no handrail? check
slope greater than maximum? check

that's plenty to get bounced by inspector. all the coolest stuff violates building codes.

edit: though it may qualify as an alternating tread device to access "non living space".

Ryan would freak out being surrounded by so much analog, I don't think he could take it