*official* Xmas card exchange thread

Nyx

Flaccid Member
Oct 14, 2004
4,683
0
0
Planet Hell
NeedMoreEmo said:
Who cares? I hate Chirstianity yet I'm sending you people cards, one of my Jewish friends gives out cards and presents at Xmas even though she's orthodox. Chirstmas is no longer about celebrating the birth of Christ, infact he wasn't even born on December 25th, the early Christians stole that date from Pagans because it was convenient. It's about loving, caring and giving.

:heart:

You've researched the origins of Christmas? Now I am impressed :cool:

IIRC that was Constantine's brilliant idea, wasn't it? It has been a while (i.e. several years) since I did the research.
 

Dory Berkowitz-Bukowski

Ready for some Heroin
Oct 15, 2004
41,157
6,204
723
Robin Hood Country
dreamwalker said:
You've researched the origins of Christmas? Now I am impressed :cool:

IIRC that was Constantine's brilliant idea, wasn't it? It has been a while (i.e. several years) since I did the research.

I just know miscellanious shit.

It was Constantine who made Christianity an official religion in Italy, or whatever it was divided into at the time, the Popal States perhaps. To avoid controvosy when Christianity was illegal they celebrating Christmas when Pagans did their solstice, or there abouts. I guess it stuck. Don't quote me on any of that though. ;)
 

Nyx

Flaccid Member
Oct 14, 2004
4,683
0
0
Planet Hell
I Robert I said:
Nothing personal, I just don't trust you guys :D Well I might send a PM with an adress, but just putting it out there in the open, I don't think so :)

You aren't the only one, I haven't posted my address either :p
 

Nyx

Flaccid Member
Oct 14, 2004
4,683
0
0
Planet Hell
NeedMoreEmo said:
I just know miscellanious shit.

It was Constantine who made Christianity an official religion in Italy, or whatever it was divided into at the time, the Popal States perhaps. To avoid controvosy when Christianity was illegal they celebrating Christmas when Pagans did their solstice, or there abouts. I guess it stuck. Don't quote me on any of that though. ;)

Sounds pretty close to what I recall.
 

fly

Osharts 11
Oct 1, 2004
73,183
24,473
1,073
Steam
mattressfish
I Robert I said:
Nothing personal, I just don't trust you guys :D Well I might send a PM with an adress, but just putting it out there in the open, I don't think so :)

I'm accepting PMs for cards!
 

fly

Osharts 11
Oct 1, 2004
73,183
24,473
1,073
Steam
mattressfish
dreamwalker said:
You've researched the origins of Christmas? Now I am impressed :cool:

IIRC that was Constantine's brilliant idea, wasn't it? It has been a while (i.e. several years) since I did the research.

It was used because of the fear that Pagans had of the night. During the winter, its obviously mostly night. They would have a ceremony of lights on December 25th to scare off the demons or something. Christian missionaries played on this fear when converting them to Christianity and made the birth of their 'savior' on that day.

Why be honest when you can just scare people into joining your religion?
 

APRIL

Feel Free to Pee on Me
Sep 30, 2004
103,247
37,943
1,823
Houston
fly said:
Last chance! Sending out today!
Ditto...


If I didn't quote you, I didn't see your address. PM me if you want one if not I hope you rot in mayo. :heart:
 

thrawn

Flaccid Member
Oct 13, 2004
14,850
0
0
dreamwalker said:
You've researched the origins of Christmas? Now I am impressed :cool:



doesnt everyone know that? i've posted about it several times here.

about the year 300 AD, the church decided to create a feast for the birth of christ. there were already several pagan festivals around dec. 25th. saturnalia, calends, and the mithraic. it would be much easier to convince pagans to convert if they had a christian holiday that coincided with a pagan one. it was first celebrated in 336 AD. and most of the customs asscociated with christmas are of pagan origin also.

christ was more than likely born sometime in october. and odds are he wouldnt want his birthday celebrated anyways.
 

fly

Osharts 11
Oct 1, 2004
73,183
24,473
1,073
Steam
mattressfish
thrawn said:
doesnt everyone know that? i've posted about it several times here.

about the year 300 AD, the church decided to create a feast for the birth of christ. there were already several pagan festivals around dec. 25th. saturnalia, calends, and the mithraic. it would be much easier to convince pagans to convert if they had a christian holiday that coincided with a pagan one. it was first celebrated in 336 AD. and most of the customs asscociated with christmas are of pagan origin also.

christ was more than likely born sometime in october. and odds are he wouldnt want his birthday celebrated anyways.

You missed post #107. :fly:
 
H

Harper

Guest
April23 said:
Ditto...


If I didn't quote you, I didn't see your address. PM me if you want one if not I hope you rot in mayo. :heart:
joo have been pm'ed