*official* Xmas card exchange thread

NeedMoreEmo said:
Who cares? I hate Chirstianity yet I'm sending you people cards, one of my Jewish friends gives out cards and presents at Xmas even though she's orthodox. Chirstmas is no longer about celebrating the birth of Christ, infact he wasn't even born on December 25th, the early Christians stole that date from Pagans because it was convenient. It's about loving, caring and giving.

:heart:

You've researched the origins of Christmas? Now I am impressed :cool:

IIRC that was Constantine's brilliant idea, wasn't it? It has been a while (i.e. several years) since I did the research.

dreamwalker said:

IIRC that was Constantine's brilliant idea, wasn't it? It has been a while (i.e. several years) since I did the research.

I just know miscellanious shit.

It was Constantine who made Christianity an official religion in Italy, or whatever it was divided into at the time, the Popal States perhaps. To avoid controvosy when Christianity was illegal they celebrating Christmas when Pagans did their solstice, or there abouts. I guess it stuck. Don't quote me on any of that though. ;)

I Robert I said:
Nothing personal, I just don't trust you guys :D Well I might send a PM with an adress, but just putting it out there in the open, I don't think so :)

You aren't the only one, I haven't posted my address either :p

NeedMoreEmo said:
I just know miscellanious shit.

It was Constantine who made Christianity an official religion in Italy, or whatever it was divided into at the time, the Popal States perhaps. To avoid controvosy when Christianity was illegal they celebrating Christmas when Pagans did their solstice, or there abouts. I guess it stuck. Don't quote me on any of that though. ;)

Sounds pretty close to what I recall.

dreamwalker said:

It was used because of the fear that Pagans had of the night. During the winter, its obviously mostly night. They would have a ceremony of lights on December 25th to scare off the demons or something. Christian missionaries played on this fear when converting them to Christianity and made the birth of their 'savior' on that day.

Why be honest when you can just scare people into joining your religion?

dreamwalker said:

doesnt everyone know that? i've posted about it several times here.

about the year 300 AD, the church decided to create a feast for the birth of christ. there were already several pagan festivals around dec. 25th. saturnalia, calends, and the mithraic. it would be much easier to convince pagans to convert if they had a christian holiday that coincided with a pagan one. it was first celebrated in 336 AD. and most of the customs asscociated with christmas are of pagan origin also.

christ was more than likely born sometime in october. and odds are he wouldnt want his birthday celebrated anyways.

thrawn said:
doesnt everyone know that? i've posted about it several times here.

about the year 300 AD, the church decided to create a feast for the birth of christ. there were already several pagan festivals around dec. 25th. saturnalia, calends, and the mithraic. it would be much easier to convince pagans to convert if they had a christian holiday that coincided with a pagan one. it was first celebrated in 336 AD. and most of the customs asscociated with christmas are of pagan origin also.

christ was more than likely born sometime in october. and odds are he wouldnt want his birthday celebrated anyways.

You missed post #107. :fly:

April23 said:
Ditto...

If I didn't quote you, I didn't see your address. PM me if you want one if not I hope you rot in mayo. :heart:
joo have been pm'ed