Ontopic O.H.I.O Is Publicly Shaming Another Convicted Idiot

Police need more accountability. More power, more responsibility. Doesn't matter if it's a minority of cops being bad. You don't wait for it to become a majority, you do something about it before it becomes a majority.

Police need more accountability. More power, more responsibility. Doesn't matter if it's a minority of cops being bad. You don't wait for it to become a majority, you do something about it before it becomes a majority.

always on, accountable chest cameras would go a long way.

And if the footage is "lost", its innocent until assumed guilty for whatever the cops are claiming the person did.

And if the footage is "lost", its innocent until assumed guilty for whatever the cops are claiming the person did.

I don't want to receive a ticket for speeding after the officer on the scene has already let me go.
And what would you do for those LEOs that are not uniformed officers? Of which there are a fair amount.

I don't want to receive a ticket for speeding after the officer on the scene has already let me go.
And what would you do for those LEOs that are not uniformed officers? Of which there are a fair amount.

Most the problems reported are with uniformed officers. It would become another piece of day-to-day gear for them. uniformed officers dont have the same regulation on other gear, they could also not on this.

If you're speeding, you're speeding. Take your ticket.

Most the problems reported are with uniformed officers. It would become another piece of day-to-day gear for them. uniformed officers dont have the same regulation on other gear, they could also not on this.

If you're speeding, you're speeding. Take your ticket.
well no shit they are, they are the most visible. Does that mean they are doing the worst abuses?

Speed limits do nothing but serve as revenue generators, and if the officer on the scene thinks I am driving within my safety limits I don't want some bean counter to send me one afterwards.

The possibility of weaseling out of a ticket is completely eclipsed by the benefit to both citizen and cop that wearing cameras would serve.

The possibility of weaseling out of a ticket is completely eclipsed by the benefit to both citizen and cop that wearing cameras would serve.

I remain unconvinced. Who is going to pay for these cameras and their associated protective shell? Who is going to review the footage for wrongdoing? Where will the files be stored and for how long? How will you get every police dept in the country to agree to this? What about privacy laws? (I believe Florida states that you must have consent of both parties to be recorded, what happens when the LEO is walking through public and is not actively arresting someone?)
It is a nice thought, but you are talking about a huge sum of money, time, and a lot of legal issues that would need to be hammered out (meaning even more time and money)

Having the cop actually produce evidence other than his word would be a great step in the right direction. The camera on the should is getting a lot of attention recently, though some of the application i've seen are a joke. One had a tube like camera sitting on the shoulder with a thick cable running from the camera down the back to a transmission module. What cop is going to want a cord near his neck when he goes about taking down criminals?

They should also raise the bar for hiring. Cops should be at least of the same level as a specialized machine operators, of which some make around $100K/year.

well no shit they are, they are the most visible. Does that mean they are doing the worst abuses?

Speed limits do nothing but serve as revenue generators, and if the officer on the scene thinks I am driving within my safety limits I don't want some bean counter to send me one afterwards.

cameras are not some magic speed sensing device.