WTF O.H.I.O. is a Shithole.

Yeah, it does happen. The fabrication part was about the CA paying off the media because it didn't want Columbia to look bad.

Ah yeah. I'm very skeptical about conspiracy theorist type news. What's mroe believable, is that it doesn't make the news because the victim didn't report it.

I've been in those back paths, and I could see it. That doesn't mean it happened often, but it's also no different than any other city in that it could happen.

No kidding - though Columbia's violent crime rate is 56% higher than the national average... so you never know.... in their defense it is 41% lower than the rest of Maryland though.
ETA: linky http://www.areavibes.com/columbia-md/crime/

Yes I am being a brat because it's rainy and I am bored out of my mind!! So take all I say with a lighthearted attitude since I am sick of watching movies and doing indoor stuff.

Last edited:
No kidding - though Columbia's violent crime rate is 56% higher than the national average... so you never know.... in their defense it is 41% lower than the rest of Maryland though.

Yes I am being a brat because it's rainy and I am bored out of my mind!! So take all I say with a lighthearted attitude since I am sick of watching movies and doing indoor stuff.

I'm sorry, that sucks. It looks like it's about to get rainy here, but we had a great morning playing outside. I hate rainy days though. We had a lot last week.

Also, by your link, Columbia's violent crime rate is lower than the national average: Columbia 275 per 100K vs. US 302 per 100K. The area's total crime is 21% higher than the national average. We have a lot of property theft around here because it's a wealthy area and people target it.

Huh, I read that wrong then. I'm seriously dyslexic and sometimes numbers really don't do the right things in my head. So ooops on that. You are lower than national average - my mistake.

Rain has nearly stopped - though I am not counting on it to stay that way. We've seriously had this same craptastic weather for 2 weeks now. I am dying to get to the pool but it's been too cold and rainy (or thundering) for us to go. Just when I thought we could go outside, it started pouring again. I hate this weather.

We have some decent property crime rates here (1397/100K) for the same reasons as you do though. As much as I wanted to live in a specific area for slightly nicer homes, the crime rate jumps a little simply because it is "South of Lane" which is where the "rich people" all live. Not quite true but whatever, so I do get it. We are lucky that violent crime rates are wonderfully low (36/100K) which I feel better walking at night knowing about. I'm a nutter who loves doing nighttime walks though.

thats because maryland is general is a shithole :/ all of PG county is filled with criminals (including the cops), as are significant portions of northern anne arundel, and lets not even get into baltimore. Theres a lot of "bad" here you have to dodge to get to good areas, which are often within 3-4 miles of the worst areas.

thats because maryland is general is a shithole :/ all of PG county is filled with criminals (including the cops), as are significant portions of northern anne arundel, and lets not even get into baltimore. Theres a lot of "bad" here you have to dodge to get to good areas, which are often within 3-4 miles of the worst areas.

It's true. Maryland is generally a dump. Central Maryland especially.

I admit I have only really visited Columbia, Ellicot City and Baltimore while visiting MD. I've driving through it a lot, but not spent much time really beyond Columbia. Ellicot City I visited for a wedding and Baltimore for the same wedding as well as the aquarium for a half a day. The majority of my MD time has been near where Eileen lives though so I don't have a real feeling for MD.

I really have no good or bad to say about the state as a whole. I do know that Columbia isn't for me, but it's for minor reasons. Much like other cities near Columbus aren't for me either. I have a certain feel I go for and I have it here. I do wish specifically my city had more diversity, but the good part is the racism isn't very apparent here. The over the top Christians can bug me but they've shut up more at least in more recent years.

I admit I have only really visited Columbia, Ellicot City and Baltimore while visiting MD. I've driving through it a lot, but not spent much time really beyond Columbia. Ellicot City I visited for a wedding and Baltimore for the same wedding as well as the aquarium for a half a day. The majority of my MD time has been near where Eileen lives though so I don't have a real feeling for MD.

I really have no good or bad to say about the state as a whole. I do know that Columbia isn't for me, but it's for minor reasons. Much like other cities near Columbus aren't for me either. I have a certain feel I go for and I have it here. I do wish specifically my city had more diversity, but the good part is the racism isn't very apparent here. The over the top Christians can bug me but they've shut up more at least in more recent years.

You still have all the Hispanic Jehova's Witnesses to keep you company.

Speaking of Ohio, I am scooting through (among other states). Coqui wanna meet up perhaps?

Speaking of Ohio, I am scooting through (among other states). Coqui wanna meet up perhaps?

Only if I can come too ;)

Yeah those Spanish speaking Jehova's Witnesses are something else to me. Especially since they've come more than once to our house in the last few months. I haven't had the same group come to our house more than once.