Night at the Movies

elpmis said:
critics are calling it the worst movie they've ever seen

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/silent_hill/

Indeed... After all of the other movies that have been released without screening for critics first... I'm giving this one the thumbs down until 3 types of people have seen it and can report back to me.

Type 1: Loved the game, saw the movie
Type 2: Hated the game, saw the movie
Type 3: Never played the game, saw the movie.

We'll go simple majority with weighting based on prior movie 'advice'.

And then I'll still wait for it to hit cable. I'm tired of spending money, dealing with irritating people and the aforementioned no smoking/drinking... All to see a movie that absolutely sucks.

Movies generally suck these days. There are maybe 2 movies this year that I have actual interest in seeing, and chances are they will be disappointments anyway.

But according to Hollywierd it's teh internet pirates that are raping their ticket sales. :rolleyes:

KNYTE said:
Movies generally suck these days. There are maybe 2 movies this year that I have actual interest in seeing, and chances are they will be disappointments anyway.

But according to Hollywierd it's teh internet pirates that are raping their ticket sales. :rolleyes:
Did you see V for Vendetta?? Damn that was good

I'm cised for Mission Impossible 3 (it's gonna be good, regardless of Cruise being nutty)

and Di vinchi Code

I want to see Ice Age 2 and the new Pirates Movie, other than that, I don't really have any huge desire to go to any other movies.

elpmis said:

I'm cised for Mission Impossible 3 (it's gonna be good, regardless of Cruise being nutty)

and Di vinchi Code
Vendetta was the movie I was going to reply to knyte with, so instead I'll concede to you my blacknip friend.

kiwi said:
I want to see Ice Age 2 and the new Pirates Movie, other than that, I don't really have any huge desire to go to any other movies.
my girlfriend, hooker face slut, loved Ice Age 2 :D

reverendsaintjay said:
Indeed... After all of the other movies that have been released without screening for critics first... I'm giving this one the thumbs down until 3 types of people have seen it and can report back to me.

Type 1: Loved the game, saw the movie
Type 2: Hated the game, saw the movie

We'll go simple majority with weighting based on prior movie 'advice'.

And then I'll still wait for it to hit cable. I'm tired of spending money, dealing with irritating people and the aforementioned no smoking/drinking... All to see a movie that absolutely sucks.

I fall under this category:

Now, I have seen the game played by two of my friends. Mind you, I am not a big fan of horror flicks; I would rather sit through a Hitchcock marathon.

There was something about the movie I would have changed; for instance, there was one particular death scene that should have left the victim diced instead of split down the middle. Also, at several parts of the movie, I was shouting to myself to give the woman a friggin weapon and chastising her for not sticking with the only person with a gun. When she finally gets a weapon, it's a friggin knife no larger than my forearm and then she looses it. Gaaah!

If I go to a horror flick, I want to have nightmares. Meh on the plot (so long as it's not as bad as Ultraviolet. :rolleyes: )

elpmis said:
my girlfriend, hooker face slut, loved Ice Age 2 :D

I've only heard good things about it, we just haven't made it yet (mostly cause I want to take Haylee so we are going to go on a Sat afternoon).

elpmis said:

and Di vinchi Code

Ahhh, V. Such a good drinking movie. You can get hammered, puke, and then get hammered again within the first ten minutes.

I'm looking forward to DaVinci Code, Pirates, and Nightwatch. The last one, I'm a little weary about. Although it's supposed to be an action/ horror mix, I may need to calm down before I go see another horror flick.

I thought it was good overall. Yea, the acting sucked at times, but dammit if that wasn't Silent Hill IRL. The Cinematography and set design was perfect. If you've played the games, definitly go see it. They dick up the storyline a bit, but I thought it was worth sitting though it for the visual presentation my eyes feasted upon.

Anyway, heres my more indepth responses from another forum:

SPOILERS AHEAD!!

I think the Penny Arcade summary is pretty point on. Saw it Saturday and was amazed at the cinemetography. If you've played the games, this IS the town of Silent Hill brought to real life on the big screen. Everything looked perfect. Midwich School, the Grand Hotel, the Hospital, the backalleys of the town. The transition scenes from Fog SH to Dark SH were too d*mn cool. It was like the facade of the Fog version dripped away like rotten flesh as the area turns to Dark. Hell, even the layout of some of the areas was just like the game, such as when you cross the school courtyard to get to the other side of the school, or the lobby layout in the hospital, with the broken elevator. Major props to the team that did the set design and effects, it was brilliant.

Then they took all that coolness and dashed it apart with a dumbed down storyline and pretty crappy acting. Nowhere in the storyline do they ever talk about the resurrection of a God (Sammael). It was just a little girl (Alissa) that the Worshippers (cult) thought was a witch so they burned her. Things went wrong, she didn't die, but was left in the hospital, so now she's pissed and the "evil" version of the girl you see in the previews comes to her as a way to get vengance on those that burned an innocent girl, thus the Dark SH is born.

Dahlia is still Alissa's mother in the movie, but they portray her as a mad old woman, distraught over the death of her child, instead of the leader of the cult that was using Henery (the main character from SH1) to bring Cheryl (the other child born to bring Sammael into this world) within her reach. The leader of the cult is a totally different woman from Dahlia, and the only reason they are there is cause their blind faith provides a harbor from the Dark SH within the walls of their church.

They did keep with the fact that Alissa and the main characters daughter are connected, but instead of being two daughters born of Dahlia in an attempt to bring Sammael into this world, Alissa was the only born daughter. In the movie, the main characters adopted daughter was never really "born," it was the Good part of Alissa, that the demon shadow version girl took and left at an orphanage. That sounds alot more like the girl from SH3, Heather, who we find out was the little baby that the Mother Alissa gave to Harry at the end of SH1 when he killed Sammael.

But, since the movie contained no tie in with the whole Birth of a God part of the SH storyline, I guess that was the only way they could explain it.

Having Pyramid Head in the movie was cool from a visual standpoint, but was out of context from the game storyline. PH was a part of James' Dark SH in SH2. They were there as part of his internal desire for self torture to make up for his past sins. They came from his own imagination based on a picture he saw when he and his wife visited the town 3 years prior. Another screw up, but it still worked since he was pretty badass in the film.

Now as far as the ending is concerned, I don't know. Take what you will from it. I'm not entirely sure what they were trying to convey with it. Maybe they were leaning more towards the Death ending of SH1. I'm not sure. But it was dumb. One of those crapshoot endings where it seems like this was the best the writers could come up with in order to get it out the door in time for print.

Anyway, if you're a fan of the games, I'd go see the movie, if onyl to see that creepy-ass town done up very well for a live action film. Just know that at times, the cut scenes in the games had better acting and storyline than the movie did.

yea, that scene was pretty badass (nurses in the hallway). Alot of the scenes were great. I just wished they hadn't f*cked up the storyline like they did. The entire sideplot with the husband looking for her was totally worthless. There was nothing gained from that (other than their crappy ending) that you didn't get from the flashback synopsis after the nurse scene. It detracted from the whole being lost in Silent Hill feel every time it would switch over to his storyline.

That and the multitudes of cult followers that lived in the church. There were never that many people in any of the games, just a few stragglers or a couple cult members that the main character would interact with. Take it as you will though, cause that all depended on what each person saw in silent hill. If you were good or bad. Most believe that SH2 is the biggest supporter of this, that James saw different things than the other people he came across. That the "monsters" he would kill looked like normal people to others in the town, which is why Eddie got pissed when James tried to lecture him about killing people.

All I know is the final confrontation scene was badass. Kudos to the digital effects group. Pretty d*mn gory and violent, but the SFX were amazing.

GROSS SPOILER: The scene with the little girl dancing in the rain of blood, which is pouring from the cult leaders groin as she is penetrated with multiple strings of barbed wire, was haunting

regarding the ending, I'm guessing they were either shooting for that, or the Death ending from SH1, where she died upon impact of the crash. Same with the cop, died from her wipeout, which is why both were there in the fog version. The only thing that goes against that is that you would think that the Husband and the cop would have seen the bodies at the wreck site. So that makes me think that it's similar to what happened to James.

James went to Silent Hill under the conscious thought of finding his wife, but subconciously, he was really looking to punish himslef for his sins, which the town was more than happy to give him. Even after he confronted his demons, he still didn't make it out. Even with the ending where the slutty chick goes with him, and he's going to start a new life with her, she starts coughing like his wife did when she got sick. Once the lead character in the movie let the little girl into the church and caused all that death and distruction, she kind of trapped herself in the darker part of Silent Hill.

I still don't get though how it followed them home. That was kind of stupid. If you are trapped in the dark part of Silent Hill, I don't see how you should be able to leave.

I saw it Sun. Quite good esp for a movie based on a game. Not quite Resident Evil material but entertaining.

Mission Impossible 3 can suck my balls, and so can the Church of Scientology receiving shitloads of money from Cruise funneling his proceeds into it. I'll be damned if I'm giving that ridiculous science fiction novel cult my hard earned greenbacks. Buncha fags.

Sarcasmo said:
Mission Impossible 3 can suck my balls, and so can the Church of Scientology receiving shitloads of money from Cruise funneling his proceeds into it. I'll be damned if I'm giving that ridiculous science fiction novel cult my hard earned greenbacks. Buncha fags.
I saw the second one when it came out. Horrible pile of steaming shit. :(

Go see, um that thing that comes out May 19th. Cant remember the name.

Sarcasmo said:

I haven't seen any of them nor do I plan to...don't think I've seen a cruise movie since the early '90's...back when he was still vaguely palatable