New Cyberbullying Bill

right intent, wrong execution.

you can say words and pictures don't hurt until you're a victim of cyberbullying, or if you've seen the horrible repercussions of it.

my youngest cousin was bullied on and off the internet. what finally pushed him over the edge was something that was a concerted attack on him online, on myspace, that was forwarded to most of his high school who all targeted him that next day. when he found out what had happened and saw that page, and when one of his bulliers suggested to his face that the only way this internet bullying would stop is if he just didn't exist anymore to harrass, he went home and put a bullet through his skull.

a bill like this isn't going to do anything. what will help is educating kids and PARENTS about the harms of bullying and how to foster a better environment in and out of school, which means actually paying attention to what kids are saying and doing on the internet at a young enough age so that they know better not to do this kind of shit.

you can say words and pictures don't hurt until you're a victim of cyberbullying, or if you've seen the horrible repercussions of it.

my youngest cousin was bullied on and off the internet. what finally pushed him over the edge was something that was a concerted attack on him online, on myspace, that was forwarded to most of his high school who all targeted him that next day. when he found out what had happened and saw that page, and when one of his bulliers suggested to his face that the only way this internet bullying would stop is if he just didn't exist anymore to harrass, he went home and put a bullet through his skull.

a bill like this isn't going to do anything. what will help is educating kids and PARENTS about the harms of bullying and how to foster a better environment in and out of school, which means actually paying attention to what kids are saying and doing on the internet at a young enough age so that they know better not to do this kind of shit.

oh my gosh thorny.. sorry to hear that. RIP

My son had a bit of this going on. He was trading/selling bike parts all over the US, but his father was a dick suddenly and decided not to send them out. All the BMX forums that he posted on started getting spammed with his name, address, phone numbers, etc. It was mainly one guy doing it, and knowing full well the kid is only 15 and yet, he, being 25 spammed the shit out of Craigslist AND all these forums with a kid's information. Even after it was explained to him by my son, "hey my father's being dick...etc" Didn't matter, the calls were at all hours of the night and my daughter and her step sister would answer at times only to hear, "tell your brother that he's dead."
They also called up and emailed the indoor skate park that he rides at like every day and told them a bunch of lies, so many people were talking shit about him.

I couldn't believe the mentality of the site owners when I contacted them to get my son's info off of their site. It was purely idiotic.

So, as a mom, I'd hope that the laws that we have now that pertain to harassment, extend to the internet. I don't think we need to pass an entirely separate bill that focuses primarily on the internet and crimes thereof.

Ghey

OMG, that's horrible. I can totally see this happening. Again, as I refer to my son's summer incidents, he was also laid up after breaking his entire leg, (both bone in lower and major fracture to femur), so he was depressed from that already, couldn't ride his bike, his father was a dick, showed no support, only berated him for causing medical bills. Then the internet stuff started, and I was so scared for him and his frame of mind. I started finding posts made by him on depression forums and wondered how he kept himself going with everything that he had going on, along with his father, etc...
With the internet, people are not seen. You just read their posts. It's easy to forget sometimes, that you're dealing with kids. People cross lines within that blurred reality, unfortunately.