Music

Ben Folds Five and Southern Culture on the Skids.

I've hung out with Ben and the other two in BFF, Darren and Robert. They were really cool. Put me on the guest list for a bunch of shows on their first tour.

One of the guys from Widespread lived on my street in Athens. I saw them somewhere over 20 times all over the country.

Blues Traveler played at my boarding school before their first cd came out because someone in my class was buddies them and got them to play for us.

Phish played on the quad at my college in NY with a free beer truck years before they broke into the bigtime. I've seen them over 20 times too.

Beerad, I saw the tragically hip play in like '88 or so...loooong time ago...in providence, RI

probably a couple others I'm forgetting

Its funny because its true. My family is so hick that I'm actually related to the Hatfield's (of the Hatfield's and McCoy's).

hahaha, no f'ing way???
they just ran a story on the news about both families having some messed up gene that caused them to have hair trigger anger issues :lol:

Everclear and uh...that's it. The Decemberists too, I suppose. Not too many bands are from Portland.

Actually...there are quite a few. They may not be super duper huge, but they do have a following and sell some records.
Another great thing about living in Portland is that you get to see a lot of bands from the West coast perform at some smaller venues which is always great for live shows.

Some other bands from the Portland area:
The Kingsmen
Quaterflash (first live "rock" show I ever saw! LOL)
The Dandy Warhols
Poison Idea
Sweaty Nipples
Elliott Smith
Pink Martini
Sleater-Kinney
Frank Back (well sort of. He lives there so you can catch him at random shows and such)
Hazel
The Wipers
Back in the beginnings of grunge you could catch the following bands at some of the greatest dive/punk bars in Portland:
Nirvana
Pearl Jam
Alice In Chains
Hole
Soundgarden
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Jane's Addiction

Man.... those were some good times and some great shows.