Music

BeerAd

Flaccid Member
Aug 15, 2005
Largo, Florida
Marklar
₥0
I was actually just listening to some Tragically Hip which is a Canadian band and I got to thinking...

What Band did you grow up next to? I tend to hear where bands are from and am quite surprised how close I was to them in location. For instance when I was younger we used to go watch Creed in basically garage shows. Usually they were in backyards but "garage band" is the more common term. When I lived in Canada the Barenaked Ladies were on a local kids morning TV show. I never got to meet them or anything but its still cool they lived so close. My brother did get to meet his favorite band Our Lady Peace who was also a local band for us growing up.

Any good stories of knowing a band before they were popular or growing up in the same area as a popular band did?

Filter recorded Short Bus about 10 mins away from me. Richard Patrick is from 2 suburbs away from me. Nine Inch Nails first show was in the same town. Trent grew up in Cleveland. Chimaira and Mushroomhead are from Cleveland as well.

Filter recorded Short Bus about 10 mins away from me. Richard Patrick is from 2 suburbs away from me. Nine Inch Nails first show was in the same town. Trent grew up in Cleveland. Chimaira and Mushroomhead are from Cleveland as well.

I have loved Filter since as long as I can remember. We used to play street hockey and like clockwork someone would always get hurt when Hey Man came on. lol

Not many in here listen to punk but I used to be lucky when I was younger cause the doorman at the State Theater would always sneak me into the rooms. I cant even count the number of times I was chillin with Less than Jake, lol. Granted they have never been super huge they were always one of my favorite bands. Luckily they loved playing at State too.

So much transitionally great music came from the Big D, musta been great living there.
yeah there is. everything from motown rNb to blues to rock to gospel.

my oldest step brother is a gospel music drummer and worked on a few tracks in that circle.

soo bad i can't play anything other than an alto sax.

yeah there is. everything from motown rNb to blues to rock to gospel.

my oldest step brother is a gospel music drummer and worked on a few tracks in that circle.

soo bad i can't play anything other than an alto sax.

IMO that is why so much good music came out of there, such a diverse selection. Although I didnt grow up there I know ppl who did and they always said you never really have a favorite type of music there. There is just so much that you just listen to it all, lol

Ben Folds Five and Southern Culture on the Skids.

Oh, and Clay Aiken was a student at my alma mater UNCC while I was enrolled there...but that doesn't really count for much.

Not many in here listen to punk but I used to be lucky when I was younger cause the doorman at the State Theater would always sneak me into the rooms. I cant even count the number of times I was chillin with Less than Jake, lol. Granted they have never been super huge they were always one of my favorite bands. Luckily they loved playing at State too.

jen thinks it isnt fair... ^.^

We used to have Hellfest (biggest hXc music thingy in the country) here, the only local bands are Hardcore. Boring ass people. I've met Hatebreed 3-4 times just walking around and probably seen them perform 20+ times.

I actually havent listened to that amazing train wreck in awhile. Such a great clash of speed and easy listening, especially Piggy.
Sarcasmo may remember this... some guy at a college around here (UNT) did some sort of thesis on that album. I remember thinking it was well done, but also completely bullshit.

jen thinks it isnt fair... ^.^

We used to have Hellfest (biggest hXc music thingy in the country) here, the only local bands are Hardcore. Boring ass people. I've met Hatebreed 3-4 times just walking around and probably seen them perform 20+ times.

that i dont really carrrrrrre, oh jen jen, jennnnn jen jen jennnnn jen jen NO SHE DOESNT FAWKIN LIKE ME ANYMORE, hahaha

9th and Pine is my all time favorite LTJ song, well from Losing Streak anyways, lol. There is no song of there that I dont like or know every lyric from, lol

They actually gave me a copy of Losing Streak and told me if I asked them to sign it they would just kick my ass, lol. Of course it was stolen along with 90% of my cds when I left my doors unlocked one night.

IMO that is why so much good music came out of there, such a diverse selection. Although I didnt grow up there I know ppl who did and they always said you never really have a favorite type of music there. There is just so much that you just listen to it all, lol
which is why I'm listening to Prong and Faith no more with my Nas and Bach.:fly:

Sarcasmo may remember this... some guy at a college around here (UNT) did some sort of thesis on that album. I remember thinking it was well done, but also completely bullshit.

I dont know about the thesis but that cd was very well put together for being basically a remix.