Halp Motorcycle thread

if the 2 of you set any decent sized bike down you are never going to get it upright without 3rd party help. you do know this, right? :fly:

Well chim is stronger than you think. You are right, though, I wouldn't be much help.

PS - we will have a sidecar attached. If we dumped a bike with a sidecar attached, there were other problems going on.

There's a trick to lifting a hefty bike by yourself, I've not tried it on anything heavier than 600lbs but it supposedly even works for the 800lb+ tugboats.

ya, but you also have the experience of lifting yourself out of bed every day

Anything from the 80's is going to require more maintenance than something newer, and parts will be a little tougher to find if they weren't a super popular model (Like a Honda CB750, or VMAX, or something else that was produced largely unchanged for 10+ years).

80's brakes kind of suck, too, so keep that in mind.
Which is why I am looking long and hard at that 2009 new Yamaha.

My bike is a little over 640lbs full and I've had a few close calls where it's all most gone over the other way while I was putting it on my center stand and I've had to put up a hell of a fight to keep it from going over. When I first got it I dropped it doing a turn around in a gravel cul-de-sac during a thunderstorm. I couldn't see that the back of the cul-de-sac was washed out and I picked it up super fast like it was nothing with my leg and hand pouring blood but I was in super adrenaline mode. I didn't even realize how badly I had scrapped myself until I got back to my parents and my mom showed me.

Do as beaver said and left it with your legs like you're doing a squat.

I can't imagine trying to get a big goldwing up by yourself.

Last edited:
I think I Would totally deck out the side car with a fold down laptop a la fly's kitchen. I think that would be awesome.

Why not both get a bike and ride together?

I have absolutely no desire to drive a bike, unusually. I would much rather be "chauffeured" around on the back of one. It's more like an amusement park ride than driving it. I would rather enjoy the sites and scenery as it passes than have to worry about the road ahead and traffic.

I have absolutely no desire to drive a bike, unusually. I would much rather be "chauffeured" around on the back of one. It's more like an amusement park ride than driving it. I would rather enjoy the sites and scenery as it passes than have to worry about the road ahead and traffic.

You are a dainty little thing, aren't ya.