Memory

ZRH

(retired?) Google-F.U.
Mar 5, 2005
<3
Marklar
₥21,172
I get accused of using google all the time. APRIL. Though I don't, and here is an explanation.

Half the trick to not looking like a retard is to not open your mouth about that which you don't know. You'll never recover credibility after saying a false fact. If one limits themselves to speaking about only what they know, it simply looks like on is ignoring some topics in favour of others.

That is the sleigh of hand. 99% of you cant handle this though. It does require that you admit (to yourself) that you don't know somethings well enough to talk about them intelligently. It also frequently requires that you admit you don't know as much as someone else a lot of the time. Therefore you should approach topics with caution, humbleness, to actually learn something. Most people are just too egotistical to do this in front of people who are otherwise their peers.

The other half, having to do with memory, is being able to remember everything you see or hear. Being able to recall whole passages of text is a valuable skill. There are a hundred different ways to do this.

Correct recall is the real talent. I couldnt explain it except that it's intuitive. If someone says "Tell me what was written on this page of this book" I couldnt. If someone says a topic, I can remember that something related to that topic was written on such and such a page of such and such a book.

Evaluating the reliability of information is important but I dont feel like typing anymore.

So tell us how you do it, or post something at least semi related.

Spouting off what I don't know about. GUILTY
Having a good memory. NOT HERE

I can never be like you. Please attempt to teach me the ways. :hs:

Edit: Plus there are times my brain fucks with me. I'll full heartedly believe that I know something is right and it is not. :(

I can usually recall just about anything I read. I have a difficult time either hearing or understanding people when they speak. You'll find me putting on my glasses and watching their mouth. I've also developed the ability to be looking at a person and completely tune them out, not hearing a word they have uttered. For these reasons, and also feigning ignorance on occasion, I get told that my memory sucks. In reality, I don't care or don't understand. I have a much easier time with an IM conversation than one in person.

As far as replying to some controversial topics, I usually avoid them aside from an inane joke de vez en cuando.

I can usually recall just about anything I read. I have a difficult time either hearing or understanding people when they speak. You'll find me putting on my glasses and watching their mouth. I've also developed the ability to be looking at a person and completely tune them out, not hearing a word they have uttered. For these reasons, and also feigning ignorance on occasion, I get told that my memory sucks. In reality, I don't care or don't understand. I have a much easier time with an IM conversation than one in person.

As far as replying to some controversial topics, I usually avoid them aside from an inane joke de vez en cuando.

Dude I'm so with you. Whatever is going on in my head my brain finds to be much more important than the discussion I am having. ADD maybe? :fly:

Poor fly will tell me things and 9 times out of 10 I have no recollection of the conversation.

Dude I'm so with you. Whatever is going on in my head my brain finds to be much more important than the discussion I am having. ADD maybe? :fly:

Poor fly will tell me things and 9 times out of 10 I have no recollection of the conversation.

i'm wondering if i do this too. spange will SWEAR that he has told me something when i am CONVINCED i have not heard it. now, he is very guilty of thinking he's said somethign when he hasn't, but i'm just as guilty as not hearing information that's been spoken to me. and it's infuriating.

i'm wondering if i do this too. spange will SWEAR that he has told me something when i am CONVINCED i have not heard it. now, he is very guilty of thinking he's said somethign when he hasn't, but i'm just as guilty as not hearing information that's been spoken to me. and it's infuriating.

What a great combination, you two. :lol: :heart:

Spouting off what I don't know about. GUILTY
Having a good memory. NOT HERE

I can never be like you. Please attempt to teach me the ways. :hs:

Edit: Plus there are times my brain fucks with me. I'll full heartedly believe that I know something is right and it is not. :(
I'll answer more on this later when I can compose it better but:

Knowledge is a system. You have a meta-topic, sub-topics, topics, individual cases etc. You can call it what you like but there are hierarchies of knowledge. For me, understanding how they fit together is far more important than remembering the exact words. Though the exact words are important, remembering them is nearly useless without understanding them. It is also easier to remember when you have a context in which to place it.

Say you have a piece of literature; just knowing that, you likely unconsciously know a few things about it:

1 and 2) Literature is a type of Art
3) Art is part of the Humanities

Say, it is the Illiad:

4) It is a piece of literature that is a Classic (close enough for this)
5) The Classics are all part of Western Classical Culture (ancient Roman and Greek, in this case Greek)
6) Greek classics have certain traits (too many to go into but this is where understanding how things fit together is important)
7) It is about the Trojan war
~there are a hundred more things you could link it to~

The first words are "menis aede thea peledeo achileos" which means like "Rage sings the godess of Achilles son of Peleus"

Keeping all these little things in mind places it in a well defined location in my head, right down to the details.

Understanding how it all works together is far more important than spouting things on command.

ah, but you're young. how the mind fails you as you age. and how children steal away the power too.
Excuses. What people don't get is discipline and practice. This is all the result of years of practice without give. :p It isnt something that comes easily. The amount of concentration required to read, and place in it's proper place, every word of every book, every conversation you have, every picture you see is not just something you start doing one day.

The hardest thing to learn is not to take the easy way. It's just like exercise, you cant just do it sometimes, or when you're in the mood. It is something that you do all the time, and keep doing whether or not it's fun.

People have called me intense. kekeke

my short-term memory is bad. If I make notes to myself, I don't remember to read the notes. I mostly work on alarms (via calendar software or phone) to help this. But, my long-term memory is crazy large. My ability to remember small facts, reason well and correlate information makes me a force to be reckoned with in Trivial Pursuit.

Thorn uses mnemonics to remember stuff, but it doesn't work for me. I either can recall it or not.

Last edited:
I'll answer more on this later when I can compose it better but:

Knowledge is a system. You have a meta-topic, sub-topics, topics, individual cases etc. You can call it what you like but there are hierarchies of knowledge. For me, understanding how they fit together is far more important than remembering the exact words. Though the exact words are important, remembering them is nearly useless without understanding them. It is also easier to remember when you have a context in which to place it.

Say you have a piece of literature; just knowing that, you likely unconsciously know a few things about it:

1 and 2) Literature is a type of Art
3) Art is part of the Humanities

Say, it is the Illiad:

4) It is a piece of literature that is a Classic (close enough for this)
5) The Classics are all part of Western Classical Culture (ancient Roman and Greek, in this case Greek)
6) Greek classics have certain traits (too many to go into but this is where understanding how things fit together is important)
7) It is about the Trojan war
~there are a hundred more things you could link it to~

The first words are "menis aede thea peledeo achileos" which means like "Rage sings the godess of Achilles son of Peleus"

Keeping all these little things in mind places it in a well defined location in my head, right down to the details.

Understanding how it all works together is far more important than spouting things on command.

When you put it that way, unconsciously we all reason the information we receive that way. It's the understanding part that I don't grasp. When I was in middle school, being the fastest reader got you recognition from the teacher. I now read super fast, but it never sinks in. Bad teaching on the teachers part.

I've been practicing slowing down lately. :omy: