let's talk DST

Supposedly the early change this year will help show any real benefits/detractions to it. If you know how much you spent last year at this time, it should be different from what you spent this year on expenses. If it is the same, there is no real reason to be for it.

Myself, I'm guessing things won't be that much different. Hard to say for sure, though. I did like a study I read once that was trying to show the effect of losing sleep on driving. They used the timezone change to show when everyone had lost/gained an hours sleep for the week. Evidently the evidence was pretty strong showing that that extra hour made a noticeable impact on driving.

I am completely against it. Stupid idea. Completely stupid. And what's worse is the fact not every country does it. Not only do you have the confusion of time zones, but you have the added frustration of exactly how far behind or ahead different time zones are at any given moment in the spring.

Not even including the inconvinence of writing a patch (for Windows) for the change as well as testing applications on those operating systems to make sure they work. Our company alone has spent in the billions verifying and writing code to take into account DST and this is just one company.

A completely stupid and wasteful idea, DST.

The 'great energy conservation' it was supposed to foster never materialized and never will. And yet it continues.

All I care about is if they decide to scrap it the better spring forward and then never fall back. I hate standard time. I like the light when I get home from work so I don't feel like a fucking coal-miner or something.

Coming home with more daylight is wonderful. Then in the later part of the year going home when it's dark is a nice change.. I guess?

yea but DST is designed to offset that. without it you'd have later daylight hours in the summer and earlier darkness hours in the winter

yea but DST is designed to offset that. without it you'd have later daylight hours in the summer and earlier darkness hours in the winter
other way around. with it you get later daylight in summer (spring forward so sunset moves from 9pm to 10pm) and earlier in winter (fall back so sunset moves from 6pm to 5pm)

All I care about is if they decide to scrap it the better spring forward and then never fall back. I hate standard time. I like the light when I get home from work so I don't feel like a fucking coal-miner or something.

I get to work before the sun rises and I go home from work before the sun sets 5 or 6 months out of the year. I work in a cubicle or in a lab that is built underground on the side of a hill. I don't see sunlight 5 days a week for half a year.

DST means nothing but an annoyance for me.

I am completely against it. Stupid idea. Completely stupid. And what's worse is the fact not every country does it. Not only do you have the confusion of time zones, but you have the added frustration of exactly how far behind or ahead different time zones are at any given moment in the spring.
o_O

Every civilized country does. The only semi-important ones that don't have it is China/Japan.

I like getting off at 4pm in the winter and it not being dark when I walk to my car. I also like getting to work at 7am and it not being dark. I also kinda like it being light at 8-9pm during the summer. Can play with my kid for longer periods of time after I get off work that way.

They take it away, then they give it right back. It's an inconvience for maybe a day or 2 to re-adjust.

And this is coming from someone who really despises change. A whole heckuva lot is this despise to.