let's talk DST

so in other words.....he's right. not every country participates
I hadnt realized that countries already over the international date line were much concern. Not to mention that parts of China dont even use standardized time...

All I heard was whine, whine, I work in a cubicle, whine.

I hadnt realized that countries already over the international date line were much concern. Not to mention that parts of China dont even use standardized time...

All I heard was whine, whine, I work in a cubicle, whine.

My company is multinational. It is extremely difficult to coordinate meetings, inspections, even code launches when time zones and GMT offsets change for some centers but not others.

My company is multinational. It is extremely difficult to coordinate meetings, inspections, even code launches when time zones and GMT offsets change for some centers but not others.

For those purposes, it would be even better to not have multiple time zones.

AZ>*...
i moved across the country 7 yrs ago. my parents still call me every weekend. i'm 30. dst only affects me for half a year when i get called while we're eating. it's like clockwork. and my dad still dosen't seem to grasp time zones and dst, first thing he asks is "what time is it there..."

but i digress...

You are right, but let us kill the smaller evils first, the work on the mega beasts later.
You do know that sunrise is at a different time for about every 5 miles you go east or west? (This is called solar, or local time) Time zones standardise it into about 24, hour differentiated zones, i.e. 15 degrees of longitude. If you had taken celestial navigation you'd know these things.

Killing time zones is not your problem, you should just set your "machines" to UTC if synching them is such a problem. It is why it exists...

You do know that sunrise is at a different time for about every 5 miles you go east or west? (This is called solar, or local time) Time zones standardise it into about 24, hour differentiated zones, i.e. 15 degrees of longitude. If you had taken celestial navigation you'd know these things.

Killing time zones is not your problem, you should just set your "machines" to UTC if synching them is such a problem. It is why it exists...

The underlying synchronization software uses UTC, however scheduling meetings and software releases does not.

I didn't say to kill time zones, per se. that was taeric's idea. I just say kill DST everywhere.

And what crawled up your ass and died? Ususally you are an ass, but you today I don't want to bend over for you.

AZ>*...
i moved across the country 7 yrs ago. my parents still call me every weekend. i'm 30. dst only affects me for half a year when i get called while we're eating. it's like clockwork. and my dad still dosen't seem to grasp time zones and dst, first thing he asks is "what time is it there..."

but i digress...
my mother lives 8 timezones away. I got her a clock to leave set to my time so she wouldn't call me before i'm supposed to get up. Now she just calls me when I'm at work.

I don't like the idea of abolishing time zones, but it would make it a lot easier to not miss flights when you have several connections and can't remember if you already reset your watch for local time.

Last edited:
The underlying synchronization software uses UTC, however scheduling meetings and software releases does not.

I didn't say to kill time zones, per se. that was taeric's idea. I just say kill DST everywhere.

And what crawled up your ass and died? Ususally you are an ass, but you today I don't want to bend over for you.

I didn't say we have to get rid of time zones. I just said that in order to make everything really easy and make sense you'd have to get rid of them. :)

It would definitely help keep things in perspective of what time it is somewhere you are not. :) (Wouldn't help figuring out when sundown is, but who cares?)

London Ontario is the poser London.
that may be so, but they have better beer, and they observe DST. I'm not sure if they're on it now though.

Did Canada make the same change as the US did? If yes, did Atlantic and NFLD time make the same changes?