Thread Lap Dances for next school year

black shirts are somehow better?

Do you have micro-center? Micro-center is actually good. Competitive pricing with online stores, huge selection of actually decent raw components, etc

They're called desktop replacements. True portability is at the very bottom of the list when they design them.

True but they can be sweet as hell. I think I had a 1.5.-2 hour battery life on mine but that thing blew everything else out of the water. Even now it holds its own next to a lot of laptops. Sucks for traveling but at least I could move it.

Obviously yes I went smaller but I still like "The Beast" and am glad Luis gets to use it.

yeah, it's a clone of our "future shop" chain - operated by the same company and competing with itself.

They sell the exact same shit for the exact same price, only difference is 20-somethings in blue shirts get to annoy the fuck out of you instead of those in black shirts.

Bwhahahaha, awww man I havent been into a future shop since December. I leave for Canada next week though and will have to hit one up just to giggle.

I had a beast like that (Luis uses it now) and as much as I liked having a massively powerful laptop, I admit when it came time to get a new one, I went smaller. I did use ebags.com to find a bag to carry my other one though, but it was only 15.whatever inches. I looked at the one you had and man that is a machine.

I went for a smaller Asus this time around. Ones like yours really are just slightly portable computers LOL

I do absolutely love this machine, look and all. The stealth design has killer looks and is very functional with the "exhaust" style fans and super easy to work on. I will need to pickup a new computer for school though cause unfortunately, as said, its basically a desktop that moves around the house.

My old beast is an Alienware and you better believe I loved how the speakers lit up and that I could have the keyboard in multiple colors. I'm easily amused like that. I just needed something that could go with my son from room to room.

I eventually did tire of the size of it, but I spend enough time carrying around a huge kid as it is so why need a big computer too LOL. They do have their places though. Just like ultrabooks have their place too. I went in between and found a machine that is light like a ultrabook but doesn't have the battery life due to a higher power processor (not ultra voltage). Not everyone wants or needs the same thing and I really appreciate a good machine that is powerful more than anything else.

Good luck finding a bag. I wound up spending a lot more for mine but it fits the laptop. Hope Luis doesn't need to carry it because the bag I chose was rather girly ;)

black shirts are somehow better?

Do you have micro-center? Micro-center is actually good. Competitive pricing with online stores, huge selection of actually decent raw components, etc
No microcenter. If you want plain computer parts up here in canuckistan, it's either online from ncix.com or a small local shop if you need something fast.

I haven't bought computer parts in years. Last three purchases were the SSD for the girlfriend's laptop, the girlfriend's laptop itself (technically her purchase, not mine) and about a year prior to that, a wifi/bluetooth combo card for my netbook.

you know, i havent either for the most part. Its funny how things change. Used to be all i bought, now its all tools.

I learned my lesson when I spent half a summer job's income buying my ultimate gaming machine. 486DX2/66 w/8 megs ram, 340 meg hard drive, gravis ultrasound, elsa winner VLB video card, shit was pimp. I still have that computer because I spent way too much money on it to throw it out.

i dont think i ever spent more than 1200 or so on a machine, usually far less in the 700-800 range.

Not counting servers. I spent 1200 on single components in the servers.

yes. Storage.

two 36tb raid6s. I hoard a lot of media.
That's definitely hoarding.

I've got a home server, an ARM evaluation board that pulls ~5W from the wall, runs debian, and downloads torrents. Whopping 500GB of disk space :D

yeah, i accept that i spend about 25 bucks a month to run my servers.

I think im going to start putting them to sleep on a schedule though. I really dont need them live during daylight hours anymore like i used to when i was doing encodes all day long and constantly running stuff.

I've got a home server, an ARM evaluation board that pulls ~5W from the wall, runs debian, and downloads torrents. Whopping 500GB of disk space :D

That reminds me. Anyone want a Pogoplug? The thing is neat, but its too low powered for anything that I want to do.

That reminds me. Anyone want a Pogoplug? The thing is neat, but its too low powered for anything that I want to do.
What hardware revision is it?

If it's a marvell based one, it's got the same CPU as my "openrd-client" ARM server, and it's actually half decent - 1.2ghz ARM9, it's a fair bit faster than a raspberry pi. And it'll happily run debian. I use mine as a low power torrent downloader and file server, and it's great for the job.

yeah, i accept that i spend about 25 bucks a month to run my servers.

I think im going to start putting them to sleep on a schedule though. I really dont need them live during daylight hours anymore like i used to when i was doing encodes all day long and constantly running stuff.

Yeah, we don't need the extra heat it generates till in the evening anyway.

That's ok. My machine gets an upgrade whenever he upgrades anyway :p