Thread Lap Dances for next school year

Seriously speaking though, ubuntu/fedora are usable for a desktop. Maybe not for your grandma, but they're not that bad.

The problems you'll run into are:

- certain specialized software packages are only available for windows, and won't work under Wine correctly (eg, Pro Tools), and there's really no open source alternative for many of those tools.
- less-than-intuitive installation process for installing some specialized software that is available (bring up console, figure out where the OS mounted the CD you stuffed in, sudo bash install-this-shit.sh, add shortcuts manually) since not every software vendor wants to package their product into .deb, .rpm, etc
- drivers for printers/scanners/whatnot (ironically, I boot my home PC into fedora so I can use my scanner, which doesn't have win7 x64 drivers)
- lack of "ask your relatives" help with the OS, unlike windows - you need to browse forums for help with things sometimes, and invariably the forum posts with the info you need have 5 different things get suggested followed by a huge argument.
- Free shit being different than paid shit. Sometimes the subtle differences between MS Office and Open/LibreOffice, or Photoshop/Gimp, can piss you off.

Usable? Sure. However, its somewhat less than Windows at almost every turn.

Usable? Sure. However, its somewhat less than Windows at almost every turn.
The girlfriend has a laptop which came preinstalled with windows 8. The hours spent figuring that shitpile out after bringing it home were comically frustrating... "WHY THE FUCK IS THERE A KEYBOARD ON THE SCREEN? THEY WANT ME TO CLICK THE DAMN KEYS WITH THE MOUSE TO TYPE SOME SHIT IN?!"

I gave up, bought a SSD, and installed win7 on there. Windows 7 has an awesome UI, I still can't believe MS managed to fuck things up so bad with Win8.

The girlfriend has a laptop which came preinstalled with windows 8. The hours spent figuring that shitpile out after bringing it home were comically frustrating... "WHY THE FUCK IS THERE A KEYBOARD ON THE SCREEN? THEY WANT ME TO CLICK THE DAMN KEYS WITH THE MOUSE TO TYPE SOME SHIT IN?!"

I gave up, bought a SSD, and installed win7 on there. Windows 7 has an awesome UI, I still can't believe MS managed to fuck things up so bad with Win8.
I have Win8 and it seems not much different except the app bullshit and the hovering on the side of the monitor pops open a window which can be annoying. Otherwise its like Win7 to me.

I have Win8 and it seems not much different except the app bullshit and the hovering on the side of the monitor pops open a window which can be annoying. Otherwise its like Win7 to me.

That's cause I added Classic Start (which is coming back natively in 8.1). Win8 is slick and sexy as hell.

ive got no problems with win 8. Once you get used to it, metro start menu is just about as fast as normal start.

Seriously speaking though, ubuntu/fedora are usable for a desktop. Maybe not for your grandma, but they're not that bad.

The problems you'll run into are:

- certain specialized software packages are only available for windows, and won't work under Wine correctly (eg, Pro Tools), and there's really no open source alternative for many of those tools.
- less-than-intuitive installation process for installing some specialized software that is available (bring up console, figure out where the OS mounted the CD you stuffed in, sudo bash install-this-shit.sh, add shortcuts manually) since not every software vendor wants to package their product into .deb, .rpm, etc
- drivers for printers/scanners/whatnot (ironically, I boot my home PC into fedora so I can use my scanner, which doesn't have win7 x64 drivers)
- lack of "ask your relatives" help with the OS, unlike windows - you need to browse forums for help with things sometimes, and invariably the forum posts with the info you need have 5 different things get suggested followed by a huge argument.
- Free shit being different than paid shit. Sometimes the subtle differences between MS Office and Open/LibreOffice, or Photoshop/Gimp, can piss you off.

The differences between photoshop and gimp aren't subtle.

Same here and I didn't even add Classic Start to mine. I do have my most used programs (Adobe stuff and Office stuff) pinned to the bar though, but it is really easy to use to me.

I agree with fly that it is slick and IMO it is a vast improvement over 7. Granted I am running it on a fast machine, but still I'm still impressed by it over 6 months later.

The differences between photoshop and gimp aren't subtle.

Another thing I agree with. I tried using GIMP. Compared to Photoshop with all I do it sucks. Not bad if you need free or not quite so in depth usage, but for what I do GIMP just didn't cut it.

That's cause I added Classic Start (which is coming back natively in 8.1). Win8 is slick and sexy as hell.

I agree, am on it now. I found it took me about 2 days to really get used to it and watching a quick 10 minute tut on youtube made the transition even better.

I am using an Asus Republic of Gamers G73 and I freaking love it. I dropped an SSD and used the second bay for the 500 that came in it. My only complaint is that it is truly a beast. I would not be traveling with this laptop as I cannot find any case that it will actually fit into. With Win8 its on and ready to rock in about 10 seconds, freaking awesome.

18 inch laptops are not laptops.

The purpose of a laptop is mobility, and to have mobility you need a mobile size, and good battery life. Those 17 and 18 inchers have neither.

Maybe next time I find myself in front of windows 8 (hopefully the 8.1 version) I'll give it another try. But in our limited experience with it, all it did was get in the way. Having the laptop spontaneously think it was a touchscreen and the on-screen keyboard popping up was the last straw.

In the meantime, Win7 gets the job done and does it pretty well.

Maybe next time I find myself in front of windows 8 (hopefully the 8.1 version) I'll give it another try. But in our limited experience with it, all it did was get in the way. Having the laptop spontaneously think it was a touchscreen and the on-screen keyboard popping up was the last straw.

In the meantime, Win7 gets the job done and does it pretty well.

that osk thing is weird. I have never once seen an onscreen keyboard on windows 8. Is she on some sort of weird tablet hybrid machine?

I am using an Asus Republic of Gamers G73 and I freaking love it. I dropped an SSD and used the second bay for the 500 that came in it. My only complaint is that it is truly a beast. I would not be traveling with this laptop as I cannot find any case that it will actually fit into. With Win8 its on and ready to rock in about 10 seconds, freaking awesome.

I had a beast like that (Luis uses it now) and as much as I liked having a massively powerful laptop, I admit when it came time to get a new one, I went smaller. I did use ebags.com to find a bag to carry my other one though, but it was only 15.whatever inches. I looked at the one you had and man that is a machine.

I went for a smaller Asus this time around. Ones like yours really are just slightly portable computers LOL

that osk thing is weird. I have never once seen an onscreen keyboard on windows 8. Is she on some sort of weird tablet hybrid machine?

I haven't either except I think it was on the Lenovo Yoga. I found the software with the OSK to be annoying.

They're called desktop replacements. True portability is at the very bottom of the list when they design them.

$300 door-crasher lenovo from best buy.

Probably misconfigured from the factory *shrug*

yeah, it's a clone of our "future shop" chain - operated by the same company and competing with itself.

They sell the exact same shit for the exact same price, only difference is 20-somethings in blue shirts get to annoy the fuck out of you instead of those in black shirts.