Katrina homeless victims - How can I help?

G

gottoys?

Well labor day vacation starts at high noon today. Boarding a plane to Charlotte NC then driving 2-3 hours to my vacation house in the NC mountains. I have been looking forward to this vacation a long time now.
However, ever time a smile starts to creep across my face I get pain of dispair knowing about all those homeless vicitims from the Katrina nightmare.

Donating money is a given.

I just keep thinking how selfish it is to own a fully furnished second house that just sits empty for most of the year, with the exception of a few days here and there my family or I can slip away to for a visit. I pay the mortgage regardless of if it's empty or occupied.

What I struggle with is how to find a family in need amongst a couple hundred thousdand families. It may be selfish but I also have to think about if they would trash the place or will they make it difficult to leave eventually. I want to help but I don't want to be sorry for it later.

I know there are a ton of poor families still stuck in the flooded city and unfortunately I can't help them. They don't even have a car to get to the mountains. So what I was hoping was to find a family similar to my own (low middle class , good clean people that have a few kids) that evacuated to a motel during all this but are on the verge of running out of money to pay nightly motel fees and then will be left in the streets. This is definately going to happen to alot of people.

What do you all think - am I asking for trouble , is it a good idea, how do I find a family about to be in the street ?

No, it's a stupid idea. You'll be taken advantage of.

Give them a few dollars, sure, but not what you're thinking. These are americans afterall.

I just want to donate for the animals. I heard of an organization on the news this morning that is going there to take care of the puppies and kitties, but I forgot its name.

:(

fly said:
I just want to donate for the animals. I heard of an organization on the news this morning that is going there to take care of the puppies and kitties, but I forgot its name.

:(
Petco

ChikkenNoodul said:
I wouldn't evacuate without our animals :(

I'd be pouring the fish into tupperware and putting them in a backpack

You sound like Candy.:)

I would donate to Petco but lots of the other charities don't use the funds properily. Even red Cross will use part of the donations for their overall budget. I'm not donating to pay someone to sleep behind their desk in Ohio.

my father in law lives in mobile, and he was telling of all the dead pelicans strewn everywhere. that made my heart hurt.

b_sinning said:
I would donate to Petco but lots of the other charities don't use the funds properily. Even red Cross will use part of the donations for their overall budget. I'm not donating to pay someone to sleep behind their desk in Ohio.
Yes, you are MUCH better off donating to the local fire department/rescue league/animal hospital/homeless shelter/soup kitchen than a national org...