July Zombie Thread

itburnswhenipee

Lonestar
May 25, 2005
Maryland
Marklar
₥797
It's time, once again, to discuss zombie survival technique. In this installment I would like to critique the 'standing in one place with a revolver' school of thought. Standing perfectly still makes sense in some situations. If the zombies are slow moving, for instance. It also allows one to use the 'shoot the zombie while it's getting up from the grave' technique which, as you'll see in the demonstration posted below, can be quite advantageous.

I'd also like to take a moment to discuss headshots. Headshots have a special place in popular culture as the preferred method for dispatching a zombie. I would like to dispel this myth now. Not all zombies are stopped by the loss or destruction of the head. In these instances only superior firepower used to completely dis-intigrate the zombie is effective.

Please take a moment to practice these methods at the link below:

http://de-animator.com/

That game is hard.

I go by the if you destroy more than 50% of the brain then the zombie will cease to function school of thought. Take away the motor control and how in the hell is it functioning? Magic or chemicals may reanimate but they don't do the thinking for them.

Unless it's a voodoo zombie. And no one wants to play with voodoo zombies lately. I don't know why. They are just as good as regular zombies.

What is your take on Fire? As the zombies dessicate fire is an acceptable solution, but what effect does it have on the recently dead? Crematoriums have to generate an inordinate amount of heat to reduce a body to ash, would that be required to deal with the zombie menace? Would lower temperatures be sufficient to contract the tendons, boil out the juices and melt the extremities? How much flesh and tissue does a zombie need to remain ambulatory?

These are the burning questions for the July zombie thread. (pun intended of course)

April23 said:
itburnswhenipee = nev? Why didn't I know this?

took the words outta my mouf

and the standing with a pistol thing will get you nothing but dead...unless you have 20 million rounds next to you all in autoloaders or already clipped, they WILL overcome you in pretty short order

b_sinning said:
That game is hard.

I go by the if you destroy more than 50% of the brain then the zombie will cease to function school of thought. Take away the motor control and how in the hell is it functioning? Magic or chemicals may reanimate but they don't do the thinking for them.

Unless it's a voodoo zombie. And no one wants to play with voodoo zombies lately. I don't know why. They are just as good as regular zombies.

It could be, in the case of headless zombies, that whatever mechanism responsible for zombification is stimulating the muscles and nervous system directly and without the need for some central control point.

zombie-discussion1.jpg

Last edited:
reverendsaintjay said:
What is your take on Fire? As the zombies dessicate fire is an acceptable solution, but what effect does it have on the recently dead? Crematoriums have to generate an inordinate amount of heat to reduce a body to ash, would that be required to deal with the zombie menace? Would lower temperatures be sufficient to contract the tendons, boil out the juices and melt the extremities? How much flesh and tissue does a zombie need to remain ambulatory?

These are the burning questions for the July zombie thread. (pun intended of course)

I would think that any fire insufficently intense to completely destroy the skeletal structure of a zombie would be an ineffective countermeasure as it would merely accelerate the zombie's ultimate transformation to an animated skeleton. The amount of soft tissue to maintain animation would seem to be negligible, as animated skeletons, while weaker than their zombie progenitors, are still a threat in many parts of the world.

It could be that the agent of animation, in these instances, is a corruption of the marrow or bone tissue itself.

The thing I don't understand about this game is why you can kill a zombie in one shot as its getting up, but once its up, it takes multiple hits. That and the aiming system seems wonky. I tried it and got up to 77 though, not too bad.

FlyNavy said:
I got a 47. This is why semiautos > revolvers.
But it *is* physically possible to fire a revolver faster than a semiauto, no cycle time. :fly:

Of course, it requires god like skill....Jerry Miceliuk (Butchered the spelling on that) does it with a S&W Performance Center 8-shot .357 using full moon clips, it's freaking amazing

theacoustician said:
I give up. 4 rounds and every time I get 77. It does seem like switching to the shotgun is a waste of time though.

Yeah, that's what did me in at the end. It takes so long to switch to the shotgun and so long to reload it that I don't think it's worth the one shot kill.

Also, does anyone else see a resemblance between your character and Dr. Otto Scratchensniff from the cartoon Animaniacs?