Jet Lighters... butane?

Jonny_B

Erect Member
Oct 14, 2004
Marklar
₥76
What the hell is up with cool lighters? You buy one, it works great... until you run out of fluid. Then it stops working when you try to refill it. There is fluid in it, i'm refilling it upside down as the directions specify, but no workie. It won't light, and when you light it with another lighter you only get a sissy regular flame rather than the supercool jet flame. Am I using the wrong fluid or something?

Those torch lighters are gay. I've been using a zippo that I got in the Harley factory in York, PA back in 1993 and it never fails. It's been in the sand, dirt, ocean, heat, cold. Just change the wick, flint, fluid, and add some cotton to it every once in a while and it's fine.

Those torch lighters are gay. I've been using a zippo that I got in the Harley factory in York, PA back in 1993 and it never fails. It's been in the sand, dirt, ocean, heat, cold. Just change the wick, flint, fluid, and add some cotton to it every once in a while and it's fine.

agreed. zippos are foolproof and awesome, but sometimes too clunky. i'm trying to get my chic new jet lighter to work for dress up events where a zippo just pokes out of the pocket too much.

agreed. zippos are foolproof and awesome, but sometimes too clunky. i'm trying to get my chic new jet lighter to work for dress up events where a zippo just pokes out of the pocket too much.

this proves my point perfectly.

"I'm trying to get my chic new jet lighter to work for dress up events" = Gay :fly:

Edit: check this out if you don't like a little bulge in your pants...slim zippos: http://zippocasemuseum.com/index.as...yid=-1&ctrl=search&tosearch=slim&searchwhat=0

Last edited:
Chikken raises a good point...what are you smoking at these events?

If you are smoking cigars definitely do not use any gas lighter that burns an orange flame. Gas lighters (zippo or otherwise) will infuse a foul taste in a cigar or pipe.

If you must light a cigar with a lighter butane is the only way to go because it burns clean. Like chikken, i prefer wooden matches... I usually don't buy cigars by the box so I don't have the cedar splits handy but as long as you give a match time to let the sulphur off then you'll be okay.

I don't buy 'em by the box either in general, the cigar stores I visit are kind enough to provide the splits to me.

One of the cigar bars in Boston keeps jars of them on the tables, one of the joints I've been to in NYC has the waitress light the cigar for you with a split, another handed them out when they delivered your cigar.

Now I just have to finagle an invite to the Havana Club and see how they do it :fly:

nah, strictly cigarettes. i never understood smoking something you don't inhale.

what is a cedar split?

nah, strictly cigarettes. i never understood smoking something you don't inhale.

what is a cedar split?

Cedar splits come from a sheet of thin cedar wood that is usually lining a cigar box. It's just tinder to start your fire. Typically you wouldn't drawl on the cigar while lighting it, you just slowly rotate it over a steady flame to get it lit. The burning cedar provides that kind of flame for longer than a match and it leaves a nice hint of flavor in the cigar sometimes too. Cigars are better when the tip is burning at a lower temperature. If you stoke it too much and get it too hot it can scorch the tobacco and ruin the flavor.

In response to not understanding something you don't inhale - Cigars > cigarettes for flavor. Cigar tobacco has a flavor that is much more complex than cigarette tobacco. You can get everything from sweet and smooth to peppery with a bite. Try a fine cigar once and you'll see what I mean.

I used to smoke astral cigars.
there were a light peppery flavour with nice spicy aftertaste.

FOOk!!!! i can taste it just thinking about it..
damn it damn it damn it!

Last edited: