Jet Lighters... butane?

I used to smoke astral cigars.
there were a light peppery flavour with nice spicy aftertaste.

FOOk!!!! i can taste it just thinking about it..
damn it damn it damn it!

haha, why did you quit? I only have one on very random and special occasions. Pandora and blondie bought me some Excalibur cigars for new years eve :heart:

haha, why did you quit? I only have one on very random and special occasions. Pandora and blondie bought me some Excalibur cigars for new years eve :heart:

at $8a cigar it got alittle too expensive. besides I would have people pestering me to use the paper to roll a blunt.

"wtf? how the hell are you going to waste this fine cigar for your cheap ass weed?"

at $8a cigar it got alittle too expensive. besides I would have people pestering me to use the paper to roll a blunt.

"wtf? how the hell are you going to waste this fine cigar for your cheap ass weed?"

yeah, the price is why I only have one once in a blue moon.

Yes Jonny B you are filling the lighter wrong. I tossed many lighters for years because I didnt know what I was doing wrong...

Before filling the ligher you have to turn the "intensity" or "flame setting thingy" all the way off so that it closes the release. IIRC the pressure of the butane being pumped into it causes it to freeze the release tube and if not turned completely off with cause a leak. After you have done this even 1 time it will cause the lighter not to function properly.

On "most" butane lighters there is a +/- sign at the bottom, just turn it all the way off, flip the lighter over and fill it in quick 2 second burst's. I have never had a problem after I was taught that.

Camel non-filters > *

I used to have a foreman that smoked those. the few teeth he had were yellow, and I actually saw him cough up a piece of lung one day. it was pretty disgusting. He did 3-4 packs a day though...I guess that much of any cigarette is going to have negative effects.

This thread makes me want to go back to Cuba for another couple of boxes, as I'm down to only about 16 or so cigars left.

Yes Jonny B you are filling the lighter wrong. I tossed many lighters for years because I didnt know what I was doing wrong...

Before filling the ligher you have to turn the "intensity" or "flame setting thingy" all the way off so that it closes the release. IIRC the pressure of the butane being pumped into it causes it to freeze the release tube and if not turned completely off with cause a leak. After you have done this even 1 time it will cause the lighter not to function properly.

On "most" butane lighters there is a +/- sign at the bottom, just turn it all the way off, flip the lighter over and fill it in quick 2 second burst's. I have never had a problem after I was taught that.
so does that mean i bricked it?

ok, i'm seeing it now. i opened it up. there's a clear flexible plastic hose running between the valve at the top of the resevoir and the metal/ceramic top part. you think i blew out the seal on the plastic? that would explain why the gas seems to be coming out where it is. i wonder if i can reseal it.

edit: nope, i guess not. the gas only seems to be coming out the top, but i'm still just getting a "regular" flame. unless it's a problem with a slow leak preventing enough pressure build-up.

this is damn frustrating. nothing is obviously wrong except it doesn't work.

Last edited:
ok, i'm seeing it now. i opened it up. there's a clear flexible plastic hose running between the valve at the top of the resevoir and the metal/ceramic top part. you think i blew out the seal on the plastic? that would explain why the gas seems to be coming out where it is. i wonder if i can reseal it.

I wouldnt suggest trying to fix it because you are dealing with a pretty high powered flame and compressed gas. But its your fingers :fly:

fuck yeah!!! we have liftoff!! i read this page and it mentions "Again, try to prevent any dirt, dust or ash from falling into the ignition chamber, as this can also cause the lighter to malfunction.". All I had to do was blow hard into the ignition chamber to free whatever the hell was blocking it.

oh man, i'm high on butane. i've emptied almost an entire can in the room emptying and refilling this damn thing.

Last edited:
I wouldnt suggest trying to fix it because you are dealing with a pretty high powered flame and compressed gas. But its your fingers :fly:
the only surprise i got was touching the wrong piece of metal when the spark went off. i managed to do that at least twice.