ITT, we talk about how much we want this Dell deal

theacoustician said:
Yep. PSU, mobo, and case are usually proprietary. PSU and case can be made to work with any off the shelf unit though. All other parts in a Dell are the same you can buy OEM from Newegg.
They did dirty with their PSU plugs tho, iirc. The plug was EXACTLY the same. However, if you plugged a regular mobo into it, the board would fry as it put 12v on the wrong wires.

ChikkenNoodul said:
So did Compaq back in 'the day'

I haven't opened a computer case that wasn't of my own creation in about 4 years though....
me either, but when this deal was at $990 last week, I REALLY wanted to buy one.

theacoustician said:
"what's this weird dell propriatary interface on the hard drive?"

"that's a sata drive"

"oh"

I've been doing tech support for over 14 years now. If there's one thing that's my strength, it's hardware. I tested every derivation to make sure that it wasn't bad equipment.

Coqui said:
I've been doing tech support for over 14 years now. If there's one thing that's my strength, it's hardware. I tested every derivation to make sure that it wasn't bad equipment.
Calm down, it was just a joke man. If you've checked the jumpers on the drive and checked the BIOS to make sure the IDE channel is set right, then I'm sure you've found some wonky new Dell-only hard drive.

Coqui said:
did you check the jumpers?

Pandora said:
Did you try plugging it in? I've heard that helps. Then you gotta push the button thingie.

:fly: ;)

WHAT? You have to push a button thingie, forget it, it's not worth the effort.