fly

omg
Oct 1, 2004
Marklar
₥84,336
Steam
mattressfish
http://slickdeals.net/#p6548

Dell Home has the Dimension 9100 Pentium Dual Core 2.8GHz w/ 24" 2405FPW LCD Monitor for $1147 + $24 shipping. ebay coupons will stack with this. Thanks Leo221.

1. Click here.
2. Select 512MB Memory & 24" LCD options.
3. Click continue.
4. Select the Decline Extended Service, Support and Ltd Warranty option.
5. Add to cart and apply coupon HB57$860$CLH97 for 15% off.

Specs:
Pentium D Processor 820 with Dual Core Technology (2.80GHz, 800FSB)
Microsoft® Windows® XP Media Center 2005 Edition
512MB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz - 2DIMMs
24 inch UltraSharp™ 2405FPW Widescreen Digital Flat Panel
128MB PCI Express™ x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) ATI Radeon X300 SE HyperMemory
160GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache™
Integrated 10/100 Ethernet
56K PCI Data Fax Modem
16x DVD-ROM Drive + 48x CD-RW Drive
Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio

They had a better one last week, but this one still makes me drip...

Work always pays to keep me dell certified so I can just order replacement parts without doing all the phone crap. I'm not even suppose to fix individuals computers anymore but they pay it every year. That's one of the reason I always tell family and friends to get dells. They are typically fairly dependible computers.

CletusJones said:
Please explain

I've worked on 4 separate people's machines. Each time, they wanted to upgrade the ahrd drive and had already purchased hard drives themselves. I get ready to install the hard drive and the mobo can never detect the drive.

In one case, it was going from a 40 Gb WD IDE hard drive to an 80Gb WD IDE hard drive. Were the cables or IDE connectors bad? Nope because the old hard drive worked. Was the new hard drive bad? Nope because I got it working and installed applications on anohter machine. A quick call to Dell and they admitted that it was proprietary.

Is this the case for all their computers? I don't know. but I'm not going to risk it.

Coqui said:
I've worked on 4 separate people's machines. Each time, they wanted to upgrade the ahrd drive and had already purchased hard drives themselves. I get ready to install the hard drive and the mobo can never detect the drive.

In one case, it was going from a 40 Gb WD IDE hard drive to an 80Gb WD IDE hard drive. Were the cables or IDE connectors bad? Nope because the old hard drive worked. Was the new hard drive bad? Nope because I got it working and installed applications on anohter machine. A quick call to Dell and they admitted that it was proprietary.

Is this the case for all their computers? I don't know. but I'm not going to risk it.
That makes me a sad panda.
Didn't Packard Bell and Compaq try that years ago and fail?

b_sinning said:
I've replaced hundreds of dell hard drives and added tons of secondary hard drives into dells with no problems.

Like I said, it may just be the specific models I'm working with. But I'm not about to buy one to find out.

Coqui said:
so then why would Dell attempt this?

Is this only on new dells? I've got an old Dell that i've swapped damn near everything on. Plus, what about the SC400 and SC420 deals that everyone was taking advantage of? They were replacing damn near everything on those motherboards with new stuff without issue. I think the tech was fucking with you because you're incompetent. :fly:

CletusJones said:
so then why would Dell attempt this?

Is this only on new dells? I've got an old Dell that i've swapped damn near everything on. Plus, what about the SC400 and SC420 deals that everyone was taking advantage of? They were replacing damn near everything on those motherboards with new stuff without issue. I think the tech was fucking with you because you're incompetent. :fly:

:lol: Fine the hard drive was proprietary. It would only work on self builds and no Dells ;)

Coqui said:

There had to be something else going on there. We're a Dell shop and I swap drives all the time without issue.

fly said:
There had to be something else going on there. We're a Dell shop and I swap drives all the time without issue.
"what's this weird dell propriatary interface on the hard drive?"

"that's a sata drive"

"oh"

fly said:
Dell DID used to have proprietary PSUs plugs into the motherboard tho...
Yep. PSU, mobo, and case are usually proprietary. PSU and case can be made to work with any off the shelf unit though. All other parts in a Dell are the same you can buy OEM from Newegg.