NSFW It's a tit-bit nipply in that water!

So....stupid question, maybe? How does one hold their breath for that long, and not sustain any sort of brain damage??

I know its not even close to 11, but i used to be able to do 3 minutes.

Its a matter of training your body, slowing down functions, etc. Free divers do it all the time (some of them also die though...) Suppressing the inherent and autonomous "holy shit, no oxygen at regular intervals! PANIC PANIC PANIC" response is the first step. That response kicks in way way before you actually need oxygen. For me it used to kick in at about 50 seconds, then once you can suppress it the discomfort goes away for a while longer, and you have to pay attention to other signs to know when you need to stop.

I know its not even close to 11, but i used to be able to do 3 minutes.

Its a matter of training your body, slowing down functions, etc. Free divers do it all the time (some of them also die though...) Suppressing the inherent and autonomous "holy shit, no oxygen at regular intervals! PANIC PANIC PANIC" response is the first step. That response kicks in way way before you actually need oxygen. For me it used to kick in at about 50 seconds, then once you can suppress it the discomfort goes away for a while longer, and you have to pay attention to other signs to know when you need to stop.

That doesn't tell me about brain damage!

Fck it, I'll Goggle.

That doesn't tell me about brain damage!

Fck it, I'll Goggle.

The extreme cold helps to slow the heart rate, as does her training and fitness level, therefore reducing her body's demands for oxygen.

Plus, there's more oxygen in one breath than the body needs typically, you're exhaling a few % along with the co2 and nitrogen.

Actually, you're probably not increasing your oxygen as much as you think, if not at all.

If you don't fully exhale you won't be getting rid of enough co2.
Ya, I have to slowly exhale or do something to keep my lungs moving... not sure why but I think it tricks my brain into thinking im breathing. Who knows... you're the expert. ;)

Actually, you're probably not increasing your oxygen as much as you think, if not at all.

If you don't fully exhale you won't be getting rid of enough co2.

yep, its long deep breaths that will overoxygenate you.

Also, blood doping to carry more :p

Ya, I have to slowly exhale or do something to keep my lungs moving... not sure why but I think it tricks my brain into thinking im breathing. Who knows... you're the expert. ;)

yes, this. Thats how you get past the first "panic" phase. A little bit of exhale.

That's exactly what you're doing, in a normal healthy human respirations are driven by carbon dioxide building up, so when you exhale very slowly you are still satisfying that drive.

I don't hold my breath underwater anymore, since I started scuba diving, since that's not a good thing when breathing at increased pressures.

I learned to skip breathe, for......something else.....and that works pretty swell: breathe in half-ish way, hold it for a few, breathe in fully, then slowly exhale.

Humming while exhaling can buy you some time too, surprisingly.