NSFW It's a tit-bit nipply in that water!

IgeGBgR.gif

Melanie something or other

She's kinda muscley. And able to stay submerged for almost 11 minutes? That's pretty bad ass. I'd love to be able to do that.

IIRC - Free divers bring oxygen from their extremities in to their core in order to reach record breaking depths, maybe a similar situation happens?
It's awesome she can hold her breath that long, I just don't understand how she can overcome being immersed in liquid that's below freezing and not get hypothermia or something. It does not take 10 mins to freeze to death in icy water. How does she regulate her body temp to stay alive?

It's awesome she can hold her breath that long, I just don't understand how she can overcome being immersed in liquid that's below freezing and not get hypothermia or something. It does not take 10 mins to freeze to death in icy water. How does she regulate her body temp to stay alive?
What I meant was maybe they bring heat from their extremities in to their core, as free-divers do with oxygen (or something similar happens)
She probably has a tub of quite hot water waiting for her after as well

Couple things to help you maybe figure what's going on.
Quite possible - Lewis Pugh has done multiple cold water endurance swims in just a speedo, including swimming 1km at the north pole in water at -1.7deg
http://www.lewispugh.com/pages/default.aspx

Lewis actually help Prof. Tim Noakes - a vanguard of cold water and sport physiology at U of Cape Town - coin the term 'Anticipatory Thermogenesis'. As he stands ready to swim in cold water his body actually starts to increase it core temperature!

Also, about 1:10 or so in

Last edited by a moderator:
What I meant was maybe they bring heat from their extremities in to their core, as free-divers do with oxygen (or something similar happens)
She probably has a tub of quite hot water waiting for her after as well

Couple things to help you maybe figure what's going on.

Also, about 1:10 or so in

Interesting stuff. I'd imagine she would have to start in cool water and work up to hot. The temperature differential would likely be great enough to send her into shock otherwise. I dunno man, seems like superpowers to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
So....stupid question, maybe? How does one hold their breath for that long, and not sustain any sort of brain damage??