IT guys

b_sinning said:
Banner is a huge oracle driven database application for colleges. Everything resides in Banner. Grades, Students, Money, Assetes, Etc.

True: it is huge. ~5400 tables although I don't think any site utilizes all of them. We use about 50% of the program (student and financial aid data) the HR and Business Financials we use Peoplesoft. Faculty management we use the State's Academic Data Mart. I make my living wading around in Banner and Peoplesoft (I've actually built some pretty badass queries and auto-reports out of it :p).

Hey B_Sinning, you guys need a part-time, on the side consultant with 3 years of experience digging around in Banner via ODBC and report design using crystal reports/enterprise server and VB/ASP .NET? :D

Actually we are looking for a reporting position. Cognos etc. You have any Oracle experience? Personally I hate database programming so I've always avoided it like the plague. I've been stuck dealing with some foxpro and access in the past but that's about it.

How is peoplesoft? HR just started using it. I skipped the training class for it.

We actually use a lot of Banner. A few of our people have left to get hired by Banner directly.

We're moving our helpdesk to Remedy this summer. I told them to do that 4 years ago but they never listened.

b_sinning said:
Actually we are looking for a reporting position. Cognos etc. You have any Oracle experience? Personally I hate database programming so I've always avoided it like the plague. I've been stuck dealing with some foxpro and access in the past but that's about it.

How is peoplesoft? HR just started using it. I skipped the training class for it.

We actually use a lot of Banner. A few of our people have left to get hired by Banner directly.

I'm not really looking for any full time work, I'm just trying to brew up some work on the side :D

Besides, the majority of what I do is draw data out of banner for reporting use...I do nothing that changes production data in any way. I use ODBC to connect to live data and I keep up a local shop repository in Access and SQL Server 2000 where I tweak, add to, and modify data for heavy stats and research.

Peoplesoft is a solid program, the database is a little cumbersome to learn if you are looking at it from the backend. All in all, it depends on your users and how well trained they are. Garbage in Garbage out.

b_sinning said:
I wonder if the rest of the IT guys in town are working as hard as us?

pssssh, I doubt it. I do this full time, I just wrote and put into production a payroll data entry program for MTC East's Baltimore site, and I've been writing queries for Hospice of Savannah. I've been swamped lately.

ERage said:
We don't manage our assets, we are a government institution. But I found that we have this huge warehouse of old computers that is like a junkyard of usable parts that are free for the taking (for further business use of course). :D
ohhh have a contest to see who can build the fastest pc from those spare parts.

or let me have att some of those spare parts .

I had to sit down with Nortel and Bellsouth for a few hours earlier and begin working on prices for a phone switch upgrade and move. Fun stuff. Just got back from making sure our new Streaming Theater camera system was ready for testing.

I helped setup a very sweet video conferencing system yesterday. I can't remember who makes it. You have a wireless tablet that controls everything including the automatic cameras.

IT? We have people for that. Now if you don't mind my Outlook is lagging more than I'd like and I think it's time for a follow-up phone call.

My Favorite of the year:

"I flipped that little red switch on the back of the computer from 115 to 230 so the computer would run faster. But now my PC won't boot up. What happened?"

elpmis said:
I'm having trouble with my mouse, can you guys send someone up here right away?

I don't think most IT departments are staffed to help you remove things from you anus.

Yes, this is Kiwi, yes I just said that.