In the interest of getting some nerd/geek stuff in here... PICs

I

I Robert I

Not PICtures, PICs, as in microcontrollers from Microchip. They come in a bunch of different sizes and configurations and can do lots of fun stuff.

Since I'm a total noob just starting I'm just turning LEDs on and off but I think it's interesting damnit!

These things are programmed using ASM, you know, machine code. And this is what's holding me back the most, being used to a high level language such as PHP it's quite a contrast and a lot to wrap me head around (if it was my penor this wouldn't be a problem, but it's my brain we're talking about here). They can be programmed using Basic and C and other languages I'm sure but it seems people prefer to use ASM because memory space is a huge issue on these things, it's severly limited (atleast on the midrange stuff I'm working with). If you know what you're doing ASM will create more compact code. Since I haven't got a clue what I'm doing my code is probably two times longer than necessary.

So far I've managed to make a little 7-segment display count from 0-9, amazing, isn't it. I just now (a few minutes before creating this thread) managed to learn how to do input aswell, so now program execution is halted untill I press a button. High tech stuff right there!

You still reading? I'm impressed, I wouldn't be if this was someone elses thread.

Aaanyways, here's a small clip of my little circuit counting. Watch and be amazed! Yeah...

http://files.badlysprained.net/out/52/genmay/omgitcounts.avi

And here it is doing the classic LED chaser thingy (second thing I did after managing to turn on a single LED):
http://files.badlysprained.net/out/51/genmay/tehchase.avi

Soo, am I the only one who likes to dive into meaningless stuff like this?

Yes Robert. I'd have to say that you are :p

Electronics never interested me. As long as it works, that's all that matters.

Yeah, considering the storm of replies I got I think you're right :D

I was really tired and even more bored when I made the thread :p

I use to find it interesting. Then I found girls...

But yes, ASM will devour your life if you let it. I use to lay in bed at night solving problems in it. GO BACK TO ANALOUGE MAN.

This post had no point if youre still reading it.

FlamingGlory said:
I use to find it interesting. Then I found girls...

But yes, ASM will devour your life if you let it. I use to lay in bed at night solving problems in it. GO BACK TO ANALOUGE MAN.

This post had no point if youre still reading it.
I never find any girls anyways, they run away screaming, don't know why.

ChikkenNoodul said:
Without the hat, sure.
I made him take off the pimp hat, I thought he looked silly. I mean, the MC Hammer pants are enough.

ChikkenNoodul said:
I thought it complemented his crystal topped walking stick rather nicely myself.
The sparkling crystal attracts small kids, it almost got me in trouble ones :/

ChikkenNoodul said:
Heck, it's less money you have to spend on feeding him

Maybe if the bear could attract really fat people he could find a new source of clothing as well and a larger amount of food at once?