Thread I'm selling sh!t

You can use a convertor. My father has about a dozen powering things he bought while he lived here.

Though we are not shipping down a mixer. That's silly.

You can use a convertor. My father has about a dozen powering things he bought while he lived here.

Though we are not shipping down a mixer. That's silly.

That's not recommended for mixers. Something about the different voltage can cause overheating and destroy the motor. Other things I know my dad has traveled with globally just fine but I know for sure they don't recommend it for KA Mixers.

$300 is a fantastic deal. A bit jealous of anyone who gets it!

That's not recommended for mixers. Something about the different voltage can cause overheating and destroy the motor. Other things I know my dad has traveled with globally just fine but I know for sure they don't recommend it for KA Mixers.

$300 is a fantastic deal. A bit jealous of anyone who gets it!

No offence, but someone told you a load of bull.

No offence, but someone told you a load of bull.

that happens with 240-220 without a stepdown, maybe thats what people were talking about to her. the motor is technically rated for it, kinda. As in itll run. But the life goes way way down

that happens with 240-220 without a stepdown, maybe thats what people were talking about to her. the motor is technically rated for it, kinda. As in itll run. But the life goes way way down

Yes that is what they were saying. It can run with a simple converter but it isn't recommended. IIRC even KA doesn't recommend it. Then again most people don't like to move with massive beast of mixers. Just not cost effective I guess?

Actually helenabear is right about the different voltage causing overheating and destroy the motor.

I just love hearing when I'm right... never get that much at home (even when I am) ;)

Yes that is what they were saying. It can run with a simple converter but it isn't recommended. IIRC even KA doesn't recommend it. Then again most people don't like to move with massive beast of mixers. Just not cost effective I guess?

I just love hearing when I'm right... never get that much at home (even when I am) ;)

you arent. Hz and voltage are not the same thing.

i have degrees in engineering, and someone sold you a load of bull.

Mixer motors are not so precise that they cant handle a 10 degree hz shift.

Per the link "Due to the frequency shift from 60 to 50hz this effects the heating in the motor due to the larger field in the magnetic circuit of the motor, however this has been compensated in our stepdowns by setting the input voltage at 110v not 120v to guarantee the longevity of the insulation structure of the motor by reducing the induction in the magnetic circuit of the motor. We offer a 1 year warranty on all our transformer range."

the Hz does affect the heating of the motor

even if I got the words wrong because I'm too tired to give a fuck the answer is still the same: it is not recommended and can affect the life of the mixer

For the record I only know of this because a friend of mine was thinking she'd move abroad for military and some stick in the mud engineering guys** explained why she shouldn't take it if using a standard converter. Of course I would have been happy to adopt the mixer for a few years so she wouldn't have to repurchase at the end of that assignment. In the end they stayed in the US so I didn't get a chance to ask for the mixer or take her 17 year old cat in (the vet didn't think the cat would live through that kind of a move so I offered to take it in) much to my dismay.

That would be why I don't know or care about terms for it really just that it is a bad idea.

Plus no one here is moving their mixer abroad but I thought it was interesting.

** I am surrounded by different engineers in my family (who I do plan to ask about it too for their opinion on it all sometime for kicks) so stick in the mud is said with utter love and totally in jest. It was a funny discussion to read though on FB.

You know what though, I do have a shit ton if other cool shit to get rid of that i would be willing to ship. I should start a thread. I have some awesome aboriginal artwork that I really love, but don't need as it will be readily available where I'll be living, for one. Hmmm