I need a gift idea

BeerAd

Flaccid Member
Aug 15, 2005
Largo, Florida
Marklar
₥0
Not to often do I make a serious thread but I actually need some help. I have this close friend of mine who is paralyzed from a bruise on the spinal column, basically christopher reeves. I dont care to go into to much of the back story but he was the driver of the car when my best friend passed away last year. His court date just passed and he was sentenced to 11 years which he will start serving in 1 year. His birthday just passed on Monday and I am going to see him this weekend.

I really cant think of anything I can possibly get him with the situation that he is in. I have never closely known anyone who was paralyzed so it is new to me. Has anyone had to buy something for someone who was paralyzed? Can anyone think of anything not overly expensive to buy him? Right now I am just bringing over a bunch of DVD's to give to him but I want to actually go buy him something. I would say at most about 50 bucks because I really dont have much else.

Like I said, serious answers only, this is a rather touchy subject for me and cracking jokes at this is or just our normal sarcasm might piss me off.

Not to often do I make a serious thread but I actually need some help. I have this close friend of mine who is paralyzed from a bruise on the spinal column, basically christopher reeves. I dont care to go into to much of the back story but he was the driver of the car when my best friend passed away last year. His court date just passed and he was sentenced to 11 years which he will start serving in 1 year. His birthday just passed on Monday and I am going to see him this weekend.

I really cant think of anything I can possibly get him with the situation that he is in. I have never closely known anyone who was paralyzed so it is new to me. Has anyone had to buy something for someone who was paralyzed? Can anyone think of anything not overly expensive to buy him? Right now I am just bringing over a bunch of DVD's to give to him but I want to actually go buy him something. I would say at most about 50 bucks because I really dont have much else.

Like I said, serious answers only, this is a rather touchy subject for me and cracking jokes at this is or just our normal sarcasm might piss me off.

my first though would have to be items that would make him comfortable, when your chair bound you have to worry about skin break down, typically pressure ulcers.

also things that would help him function. im assuming his a quad? from the way you described it as a reeves situation.

how long has he been in this situation, is it a bad subject for him to? sometime people use humor to cope with a bad/tragic situation, you can modify his chair, you know like fancy it up a bit to make it seem like its not a horrible thing.

can we have more details on his capabilities?

my first though would have to be items that would make him comfortable, when your chair bound you have to worry about skin break down, typically pressure ulcers.

also things that would help him function. im assuming his a quad? from the way you described it as a reeves situation.

how long has he been in this situation, is it a bad subject for him to? sometime people use humor to cope with a bad/tragic situation, you can modify his chair, you know like fancy it up a bit to make it seem like its not a horrible thing.

can we have more details on his capabilities?

He has been since January 23 of 06. We always talk about pimpin out his "ride" lol. It is already pretty pimp though, its like a 20k dollar chair. We kid about hookin up some subs to it so he can be thumpin, lol

my mom is in and out of wheelchairs. Aything to stave off the hours of not being able to do anything is much appriciated. Movies, TV shows... anything.

i wonder if there's an audio book club he can join. or maybe a audio book-a-month club, where he gets a different one every month. maybe he should check out the local library to see if they have a collection of them he can rent. if they don't, maybe he can donate the ones he's used and won't listen to again. wouldn't that be a good idea? he could start up a community thing that would strengthen the library's collection with donations.

or that's something you could do. donate the money to something in his honor. pick something that's close to what he's going through. or you could donate a collection of audio books to the library in his name. that way, you're doing the library a favor AND he can check them out to listen to.

Just making sure

Does he like silly gadgets or toys?

Easiest way to explain him is that he loves HipHop and used to be a big "go out and dance" kinda club guy. I dont really know what kinda gadgets or toys he could really play with cause of his inability to more much more than slightly. Any ideas?