I need a gift idea

i wonder if there's an audio book club he can join. or maybe a audio book-a-month club, where he gets a different one every month. maybe he should check out the local library to see if they have a collection of them he can rent. if they don't, maybe he can donate the ones he's used and won't listen to again. wouldn't that be a good idea? he could start up a community thing that would strengthen the library's collection with donations.

or that's something you could do. donate the money to something in his honor. pick something that's close to what he's going through. or you could donate a collection of audio books to the library in his name. that way, you're doing the library a favor AND he can check them out to listen to.

Those are great Ideas too, I am definately loving the audio book idea but that brings up the other issue, what book, lol?

oh wow, what a dam good idea.

He can move his hands and slightly move his arms now after a year of PT so that actually might be the perfect gift.

You might want to check whatever libraries may be in the area too, I know my local library has quite a few audio books for loan.

EDIT: I see someone else mentioned the library while I was away!

That is an awesome idea. A neat escape to close your eyes and imagine another world.

That's what I did when...let's just say I less than mobile for a time way back when and another world was far more desirable than the real one I was living in.

Easiest way to explain him is that he loves HipHop and used to be a big "go out and dance" kinda club guy. I dont really know what kinda gadgets or toys he could really play with cause of his inability to more much more than slightly. Any ideas?

How about something like this

it's easy and you get to feed it meat which is awesome

The audio book thing is cool and I believe there is a way for him to have them mailed to him every month or so. My grandpa is bllind nad gets audio books mailed to him all the time. They have return labels and everything for him, once he is done.
The only problem I see with it, is that a lot of books are not in CD form yet and tapes can be a bit of a hassle.

Another idea is to get him a few months subscription to blockbuster or netflix.

As for ideas on how to make life more bearable in the chair.....
really nice skin creams/lotions
a fan to stick on his chair
if ya want to "pimp" it out and he is a bit of a funny guy...get him some streamers...you know, like they have on bikes.
maybe a massage certificate (I was a caregiver for a lady in a wheelchair and I gave her that once and she loved it! There are spas that specialize in massage for disable folks.)
Does he have all the gadgets and gizmos for his house? Like a shower lift chair? Or a handheld shower head?
How about a cool new t-shirt? cologne?
iPod shuffle?
Does he live in his own house? If so, a cleaning service might be a good idea. ( I do that for my brother a lot who has CP and uses a wheelchair alot. The chair makes his carpets extra dirty, so he really appreciates getting his carpets cleaned.)
How about a really nice pillow for his bed? Something to make sleeping more comfortable.
How about a certificate good for one night out on the town and dancing? People in wheelchairs can still dance. Promise pretty babes to come along to.

I probably have some more ideas, but my brain is fried after the crappy day at work.

Great Ideas Dream, I was gonna go look at funny bumper stickers for his chair. I especially like the fan idea cause his parents are not rich and when he had to move back in with them they had to make the florida room into a spare bedroom/hospital room for him. I mean they did a really good job and its all enclosed with ac but I am sure it still can get hot.

So what do you think I can get him for that Ruthless? I mean what would help him be more comfortable?

well the basics, what type of cushioning does he have, is the one under him comfy and good for his skin? hows the back and sides of his chairs. you'd want something that is fluffy and comfy, but it needs to let the skin breath. my work we have "waffle" pads that are filled with air, and evemdisburse the weight so theres no build up of pressure in one spot. like whn we sit down in one spot for a while our asses hurt, but we can move and adjust. he cant. see where im coming from? plus they are waffle shaped so air gets to his skin as well.

what about pets, get him an interesting low maint. pet.... like a scoripon. mine are great, get him an emporer, very docile if you do decide to hold them, and throw them a couple crickets once a week.

Ruthless is the disabled MAN I tell ya.

thats ape. lol

#1 im a nurse

#2 i ride bikes, i shattered my left foot, i mean it was broke completly in half, i couldnt walk for a year, and went through 6 months of therapy. so i can tell you, being comfortable is extremely important.