I have sleep AIDS.

Sp`ange

Flaccid Member
Nov 19, 2004
33.745091, -84.390205
www.uselessforums.com
Marklar
₥0
I've known for a long time that I am my own worst enemy, but geez, this is on the cellular level.

:hay:

Based on this article, I wonder if doing the homeopathic things that help people with AIDS and HIV would help me stay awake and feel generally better.

Though, I don't what those things are, it might be worth investigating. Anyone have any experience or knowledge of such things?

examiner.com said:
Study confirms narcolepsy is an autoimmune disorder

Researchers at Stanford claim they have confirmed a long-standing hypothesis: narcolepsy is an autoimmune disorder.

Narcolepsy is a disorder which causes severe sleepiness in the daytime, poor sleep at night, and a sudden loss of muscle strength (cataplexy). In the early 1990s, Dr. Emmanuel Mignot of Stanford University found that those afflicted with narcolepsy lack proper levels of the wakefulness hormone hypocretin. It was later found that this is due to the fact that they are missing the cells in the brain which produce the hormone.

Because of the missing cells, Mignot believed that narcolepsy may be an autoimmune disorder, based on literature that showed a tentative link between narcolepsy and a certain type of human leukocyte antigen (HLA) gene. “The immune system uses HLAs to differentiate between "self" cells and foreign cells (and attacks those presented as foreign), and most autoimmune diseases are associated with variants of HLA. In recent studies, more than 90 percent of narcolepsy patients were shown to carry one such variant.” In an autoimmune disease, immune cells turn against the body, against the self, and can inflict serious harm to internal organs, joints, and the brain.

In order to prove that narcolepsy truly was an autoimmune disorder, Mignot had to show abnormal behavior from the immune cells in those afflicted by the disease. To find the proof, Mignot embarked on an intense study of the human genome, using genetic material from over 1,800 patients worldwide. Whole-genome scans allow for side-by-side comparison of the genes found in humans. By using objective computer software, scientists can spot changes in the genome of those suffering from a disease. This sort of analysis usually does not yield an exact answer, but it can point researchers in the right direction.

Mignot found a variation in T cells (important players in the immune system) in those suffering from narcolepsy, offering for the first time proof that the disorder is autoimmune. How exactly the T cells and variation of HLA cause the drop in hypocretin-producing cells is not yet known, but will be the focus of further studies.

The scientists hope these findings will help other researchers who are hunting for answers in other autoimmune diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis or type 1 diabetes. "I'm sure immunologists are going to be very excited," said Mignot of the findings. "If we can work out what happens specifically in patients with narcolepsy, we'll be able to better understand the role of T cells in other autoimmune diseases that are more complicated and difficult to detect."

Thats an interesting read. Studies in this can lead to a possible breakthrough in R.A and Type 1 Diabetes?

Potentially huge.

Other than that, I don't have any direct involvement in it, but I wish you luck Sp'ange.

I probably should, but in this instance, it's pretty much genetic. Can psychological issues be genetic?

Actually yes. Well if the book I recently read is accurate anyway. Pretty interesting stuff.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Living-Truth-Transform-Through-Insight/dp/0316017817"]Amazon.com: Living the Truth: Transform Your Life Through the Power of Insight and Honesty: Keith Ablow: Books[/ame]

Last edited:
I probably should, but in this instance, it's pretty much genetic. Can psychological issues be genetic?

"issues" are probably more nurture than nature, where disorders have hereditary tendencies.

interesting study. a lot of the AI stuff i've read and studied lately has to do with adipose tissue causing an auto-immune inflammatory reaction that harms healthy tissue, causing things like type 2 diabetes and athersclerosis. since the brain is primarily made up of fat, i wonder if that is a contributor to this whole mess.

are you going to bring this study up with your doc? mebbe he'll know of a local study or a trial for something as a piggyback to this finding

In my family the females all have bipolar/manic depression. I mean ALL. Except me... further proof I'm a dude.

Psychology, combining non-scientific principals with unquantifiable results since the 19th century...