I can't believe someone finally did it right

zengirl said:
I agree. It seems that nowadays the only CD's I'm interested in buying are the kind that are advertised in those late hours of television when anyone in their right mind would be asleep... like that new Monster Ballad CD for 26.99 plus S&H

:shifty:

watch. my. toes.

i ALREADY HAVE the monster ballads cd! HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thorn Bird said:
watch. my. toes.

i ALREADY HAVE the monster ballads cd! HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It's true what they say... life is comprised of the "haves" and the "have nots"

:(

;)

:p

itburnswhenipee said:
<shrugs>

If major media corporations are worried about a handful of geeks they're focusing their attention in the wrong place. I thought the real losses to piracy were in foreign countries where major businesses and even government agencies ignore, or don't have, any intellectual property laws.
I understand why it doesn't seem that way, but according to what I've seen
1. Piracy in other less strict countries isn't really isn't what they freak out about. Well, they do worry, but those countries were never in the revenue stream. What they are finding is that its cutting into current revenue. That's a problem, big time, to them.

2. It isn't a handful of geeks bucking the system. The numbers of people that engage in what they call "casual piracy" is staggering.

theacoustician said:
I understand why it doesn't seem that way, but according to what I've seen
1. Piracy in other less strict countries isn't really isn't what they freak out about. Well, they do worry, but those countries were never in the revenue stream. What they are finding is that its cutting into current revenue. That's a problem, big time, to them.

2. It isn't a handful of geeks bucking the system. The numbers of people that engage in what they call "casual piracy" is staggering.
Well I guess this begs the question of whether or not the casual pirates would buy the stuff otherwise. I mean I'll take free stuff, almost anything, but when it comes to spending my money I'm going to be a lot more picky, so is the staggering numbers of causal pirates really indicitive of lost revenue?

zengirl said:
Well I guess this begs the question of whether or not the casual pirates would buy the stuff otherwise. I mean I'll take free stuff, almost anything, but when it comes to spending my money I'm going to be a lot more picky, so is the staggering numbers of causal pirates really indicitive of lost revenue?

Lady, you took the words out of my mouth.

itburnswhenipee said:
Just because file-sharing is supposedly 53% of all net traffic does not mean that an equally large share of internet users are generating that traffic. After all, checking your mail on Yahoo isn't exactly bandwidth intensive. More importantly, file sharing is nothing when compared to the almost institutional piracy of all kinds of media which takes place outside the western world-- and that's actual piracy with someone selling their copies of media for actual money.

Ok, so it's only a million people stealing 100 CDs each, instead of 10 million people stealing 10 CDs each. Just means that it's easier to prosecute.

zengirl said:

And that's exactly where I think the record companies are losing the picture. I buy far more CDs now than I ever did, and know about a lot more smaller artists. There was actually a really good article in Air Canada's October in-flight magazine about this. The writer basically summed it up by saying he'd rather 100 artists have a job in making music than 1 artist become filthy rich, and that's sort of what's happening.

zengirl said:
It doesn't matter if it is or not. That's the way its being sold to senior execs. They see the sales figures, the p2p traffic, and the trends extrapolated through data mining. They are being presented with facts that show that their $ is down and that the attitude is "stealing is cool". Doesn't matter if these facts are being presented correctly or not, its what they're buying into. As a result, were about to experience a whole new wave of copy protection that's going to rub people the wrong way. What's worse is that with shit like Trusted Path, without some serious elec. eng. skills, you aren't going to be able to get around it. With BD+, its constantly being upgraded and changed. Hacking really isn't even going to be an option. Right or wrong, the culture of downloading is leading to business decisions that are only going to lead to less options and hurt consumers.

theacoustician said:
It doesn't matter if it is or not. That's the way its being sold to senior execs. They see the sales figures, the p2p traffic, and the trends extrapolated through data mining. They are being presented with facts that show that their $ is down and that the attitude is "stealing is cool". Doesn't matter if these facts are being presented correctly or not, its what they're buying into. As a result, were about to experience a whole new wave of copy protection that's going to rub people the wrong way. What's worse is that with shit like Trusted Path, without some serious elec. eng. skills, you aren't going to be able to get around it. With BD+, its constantly being upgraded and changed. Hacking really isn't even going to be an option. Right or wrong, the culture of downloading is leading to business decisions that are only going to lead to less options and hurt consumers.

Or they could lower their astronomical prices, make better product, and try to avoid showing certain musicians bathing in diamonds and driving gold-plated cars. It's hard for consumers to feel like their screwing anyone out of money when the only faces they see from the music industry are all living in mansions.

Taking obscene measures towards anti-piracy won't help the RIAA (or the MPAA for that matter), they need to change their business habits to compete in the changing world. Ford isn't combating their loss of sales by equiping every car they make with a low-jack, they're trying to find ways to better please the consumers and make them actually want their product.

Putting out 4 different albums of "50 Cent does Christmas Carols Yo" does not move towards that goal.

KNYTE said:
Or they could lower their astronomical prices, make better product, and try to avoid showing certain musicians bathing in diamonds and driving gold-plated cars. It's hard for consumers to feel like their screwing anyone out of money when the only faces they see from the music industry are all living in mansions.

Taking obscene measures towards anti-piracy won't help the RIAA (or the MPAA for that matter), they need to change their business habits to compete in the changing world. Ford isn't combating their loss of sales by equiping every car they make with a low-jack, they're trying to find ways to better please the consumers and make them actually want their product.

Putting out 4 different albums of "50 Cent does Christmas Carols Yo" does not move towards that goal.
Dude, this is the problem. Consumers and content providers aren't speaking the same language. I'm not trying to argue for them, I'm telling you how they think and how they see the situation. Since they are friends with the electronics manufacturers, or in cases like Sony are the content and electronics manufactures, they are both on the same page. Why do they put out "crap"? Because it makes money and is low risk. Why all the DRM? Because it helps them make money.

People need to start thinking like the machine in order to change it. iTunes showed online music sales could be viable. If everyone got behind something that was DRM free and helped it make a lot of money, the machine will change to fit the model. Vote will your wallet. Not buying something is equivilant to not voting. Stealing just proves their case and makes them feel righteous in what they're doing. Find a business model you like and put your money there. The machine will notice.

All I want is a CD that doesn't scratch when air molecules blow against it. I would be happy with that.

Since no one can figure out how to produce simple scratch proof surfaces for CDs yet, they are basically screwing themselves. No one wants to buy 2 or 3 CDs of the same album, or ridiculous hand-cranked appliances reputed to grind away damaged surfaces.

And no, the average consumer does not go home from the music store and burn copies and store their "masters".

Sarcasmo said:
All I want is a CD that doesn't scratch when air molecules blow against it. I would be happy with that.

Since no one can figure out how to produce simple scratch proof surfaces for CDs yet, they are basically screwing themselves. No one wants to buy 2 or 3 CDs of the same album, or ridiculous hand-cranked appliances reputed to grind away damaged surfaces.

And no, the average consumer does not go home from the music store and burn copies and store their "masters".
It already exists. TDK's DURABIS 2. You could rub steel wool on a disc and its still readable.

theacoustician said:
People need to start thinking like the machine in order to change it. iTunes showed online music sales could be viable. If everyone got behind something that was DRM free and helped it make a lot of money, the machine will change to fit the model. Vote will your wallet. Not buying something is equivilant to not voting. Stealing just proves their case and makes them feel righteous in what they're doing. Find a business model you like and put your money there. The machine will notice.

Very well said :clap:

Sarcasmo said:

I essentially do. I never listen to real CDs anymore.

Fat Burger said:
Over a year ago BitTorrent was reported to be 35% of all internet traffic. That's including the ungodly amount of spam, and remember that's only one version of peer-to-peer. BitTorrent is about 53% of all P2P. That means that two-thirds of all traffic on the internet is P2P. Obviously there's no way to accurately estimate how much of that is illegal, but it proves that it's more than a "handful of geeks".

EDIT:
And how the hell are the RIAA and MPAA supposed to come after the Taiwanese government?

They are taking care of that as well. Pretty much all of the larger ISPs are now considering creating tiers of service. Basically they plan on making you pay for your bandwidth if you are a power user. Sadly this all started from a wrong quote but now everyone is considering it a good idea.

Originally an Bellsouth exec stated that it was working on technology where you could pay for a bandwidth boost on demand. An example is that your connection is usually 500k, you can pay 2 dollars for a 10m shot for two hours if you wish. Once it finally circulated online it got changed to they want to charge power users more. Now Comcast, Verizon, Telus, and ATT have all admitted or voiced opinions that they reserve the majority of bandwidth for their programs and if other companies want to take advantage then they should pay for it. In other words if netflix decides to do video on demand then they should pay comcast money for using all that bandwidth on their network. I can easily see this as sticking this to BT users. "the average user uploads 200m of info a month, and you did 3 gigs in 4 days, so you owe us an additional 10 dollars for the stress you caused on our network"

theacoustician said:
Dude, this is the problem. Consumers and content providers aren't speaking the same language. I'm not trying to argue for them, I'm telling you how they think and how they see the situation. Since they are friends with the electronics manufacturers, or in cases like Sony are the content and electronics manufactures, they are both on the same page. Why do they put out "crap"? Because it makes money and is low risk. Why all the DRM? Because it helps them make money.

Voting....my arch nemesis. You're just mad because I continually refer to politicians as "the blood sucking zombie horde", aren't you? :fly:

I haven't purchased a "real" CD in over a decade, and I don't plan to start it back up anytime soon. And why don't I do that? Because everytime I buy a CD it's got one or two songs that are worthwile, and an hour of crap I don't want to listen to which was stuck on there just so the CD wouldn't be called a "single" and they could charge me $16 for it. It was this way long before Napster, it's this way today, and it will be this way tomorrow.

I pay $10 a month for Rhapsody account that I use at work to listen to music and I'm already getting bored with it, WHY? Because none of the cry-baby recording labels, artists, and managers can agree to use one brand or standard, so the selection is only limited to whomever Real can sign to work with their product/service, so there is constantly missing content (or content that I have to pay even more to listen to, or GOD FORBID, burn to a CD to take in my car). It's the same way with iTunes, Burn Lounge, and every other pay-to-play service out there.

Trying to appease the DRM gods by further buying their products will not convince them to reduce piracy measures, it will more than likely do the opposite, and at the very least make them leave the piracy measures where they're currently at. If everyone started buying CD's and not "stealing" them the execs would think "Oh wow, our initiative to curb downloading worked, we sure screwed those suckas. Hey 50 Cent, crank out another 125 minute album of you talking about pussy so we can charge $35 bucks for it, we know those idiots will pay for it because they have no alternative anymore."

Last edited:
theacoustician said:
It already exists. TDK's DURABIS 2. You could rub steel wool on a disc and its still readable.

And is that what the music industry uses as their standard now? No, because I bought one the other day that scratched when it brushed against my fucking car seat. I about threw it out the damn window.

Fat Burger said:
I essentially do. I never listen to real CDs anymore.

Me too, for the most part, unless I forget. But I don't think the average consumer is used to bathing in computer technology yet.