theacoustician

Flaccid Member
Sep 30, 2004
Marklar
₥0
www.emusic.com

-No client needed for downloads
-All files are DRM free MP3's
-All rips are done with LAME 3.92 set at --alt preset standard (192kbps VBR)
-Unlike allofmp3.com, they actually have the right to distribute and actually pay the artists

Holy. Shit.

Mostly indie stuff, but that shit is red hot. If this is old, why the hell didn't one of you hobos tell me earlier?

theac, have you heard the new strokes album yet?

I've been lovin' it for a couple weeks or so now

itburnswhenipee said:
Wow... I guess I'm a criminal bastard since I don't pay for music if I can help it.
Yes, you're a bastard. I understand the "record companies are evil" thing, but at least buy the music directly from the artist then.

I'll let you in on a little not-so-secret secret. Big media companies *cough* have entire departments that do nothing but data mine. One of the big things I saw was data mining on piracy. They not only tracked piracy through file sharing networks, but scanning things like oh ... forums. The department uses this info to find trends. They present the idea to upper management to sell them on the idea that piracy is rampant and that they need to invest in bigger, badder DRM. DMCA, AACS, Trusted-Path(TM), BD+, and Digital Transition Content Security Act of 2005 (aka Analog Hole bill) are all the result of your piracy. There are some other things in the pipe to make it even more limiting. So remember this in the future: They learned it by watching you.

elpmis said:
theac, have you heard the new strokes album yet?

I've been lovin' it for a couple weeks or so now
Pandora pre-ordered the deluxe edition for me for Xmas. I've had it since release.

theacoustician said:
Yes, you're a bastard. I understand the "record companies are evil" thing, but at least buy the music directly from the artist then.

I'll let you in on a little not-so-secret secret. Big media companies *cough* have entire departments that do nothing but data mine. One of the big things I saw was data mining on piracy. They not only tracked piracy through file sharing networks, but scanning things like oh ... forums. The department uses this info to find trends. They present the idea to upper management to sell them on the idea that piracy is rampant and that they need to invest in bigger, badder DRM. DMCA, AACS, Trusted-Path(TM), BD+, and Digital Transition Content Security Act of 2005 (aka Analog Hole bill) are all the result of your piracy. There are some other things in the pipe to make it even more limiting. So remember this in the future: They learned it by watching you.
I agree

theacoustician said:

<shrugs>

If major media corporations are worried about a handful of geeks they're focusing their attention in the wrong place. I thought the real losses to piracy were in foreign countries where major businesses and even government agencies ignore, or don't have, any intellectual property laws.

itburnswhenipee said:
<shrugs>

If major media corporations are worried about a handful of geeks they're focusing their attention in the wrong place. I thought the real losses to piracy were in foreign countries where major businesses and even government agencies ignore, or don't have, any intellectual property laws.

As did I.

Plus, when I stop seeing rappers running around with $100,000 watches, chains, and driving Ferraris, I'll start caring about the music industry not making enough money.

itburnswhenipee said:
<shrugs>

I was listening to the news on the way to school yesterday and heard a blurb about the music industry and recent polls... the polls showed that 92% of individuals aged 18-35 (the main music demographic) still bought their music... so industry allegations that music piracy was hurting profits came into question. Upon further probing, something like 50% said the cost of CD's were too high and prevented them from buying MORE CDs, and 70% said that today's music was just downright BAD. :fly:

That part cracked me up because I have to agree... the music industry is so up in arms about piracy depleting their profits when nobody's buyin their stuff because it all sucks in the first place.

:lol:

itburnswhenipee said:
<shrugs>

Over a year ago BitTorrent was reported to be 35% of all internet traffic. That's including the ungodly amount of spam, and remember that's only one version of peer-to-peer. BitTorrent is about 53% of all P2P. That means that two-thirds of all traffic on the internet is P2P. Obviously there's no way to accurately estimate how much of that is illegal, but it proves that it's more than a "handful of geeks".

EDIT:
And how the hell are the RIAA and MPAA supposed to come after the Taiwanese government?

zengirl said:
I was listening to the news on the way to school yesterday and heard a blurb about the music industry and recent polls... the polls showed that 92% of individuals aged 18-35 (the main music demographic) still bought their music... so industry allegations that music piracy was hurting profits came into question. Upon further probing, something like 50% said the cost of CD's were too high and prevented them from buying MORE CDs, and 70% said that today's music was just downright BAD. :fly:

That part cracked me up because I have to agree... the music industry is so up in arms about piracy depleting their profits when nobody's buyin their stuff because it all sucks in the first place.

:lol:

This isn't a new thing. Most CD's have the one "hit song" that you're interested in and everything else on it is worthless crap, it's been this way for a decade at least.

zengirl said:
Upon further probing, something like 50% said the cost of CD's were too high...

I could not agree more. DVDs and CDs are the same price, and DVDs offer so much more. Granted, the studio recoups the cost of making a movie in the theater, so DVD sales are just extra. But still...
I always said if CDs were $5-8, then I'd buy a lot more. Then I found YourMusic.com :D

Fat Burger said:
Over a year ago BitTorrent was reported to be 35% of all internet traffic. That's including the ungodly amount of spam, and remember that's only one version of peer-to-peer. BitTorrent is about 53% of all P2P. That means that two-thirds of all traffic on the internet is P2P. Obviously there's no way to accurately estimate how much of that is illegal, but it proves that it's more than a "handful of geeks".

EDIT:
And how the hell are the RIAA and MPAA supposed to come after the Taiwanese government?

Just because file-sharing is supposedly 53% of all net traffic does not mean that an equally large share of internet users are generating that traffic. After all, checking your mail on Yahoo isn't exactly bandwidth intensive. More importantly, file sharing is nothing when compared to the almost institutional piracy of all kinds of media which takes place outside the western world-- and that's actual piracy with someone selling their copies of media for actual money.

KNYTE said:
This isn't a new thing. Most CD's have the one "hit song" that you're interested in and everything else on it is worthless crap, it's been this way for a decade at least.
I agree. It seems that nowadays the only CD's I'm interested in buying are the kind that are advertised in those late hours of television when anyone in their right mind would be asleep... like that new Monster Ballad CD for 26.99 plus S&H

:shifty: