Tampa Hurricane tiem!

Well, that'll certainly keep Austin weird
At least now I have a deadline, haha.

Really though they'd be a good fit here. Both professionally as well as culturally and things like that.
They'll make great Austinites.

Would at least be in a place people can out-weird them so they feel a little closer to normal.

• Gravy
Reactions: NukesII
Yep! Austin area isn't *terrible* for climate change, but this place sure is. We're getting out while our house is still worth something.
As said above, y'all would be a good fit here.
Got the professional acumen to make the prices work and a good addition to the culture.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly
There's a fairly robust community of people here that make it their mission to take care of feral cat colonies. Some of them can get downright militant about it.
April will do just fine.

• Haha
Reactions: fly
I would totally live in that and be happy while doing so.

A place like that cost you at least 250k here just for the dirt. The house in an expense. Needs to be removed for whatever that cost, then a fancy new one that's all up to code and shit built, for whatever that costs.

So 600k vs. 50k? I'll take it.
I mean, it's all about location, that is a DEAL. It's like two blocks from downtown and maybe 5 from the university. My Aunt bought a tax sale like 5 years ago that was not quite as trashed as that but they redid the whole place and now it's worth like $250k.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
I mean, it's all about location, that is a DEAL. It's like two blocks from downtown and maybe 5 from the university. My Aunt bought a tax sale like 5 years ago that was not quite as trashed as that but they redid the whole place and now it's worth like $250k.
I'm not one to be wanting to up the value. Land is something to live your life on, not a financial investment you want to increase. I'd keep it lowdown dirty shitty shanty and keep those tax appraisals low, but that's just me.

Of course priorities might be different when you're 50 and just want a piece of dirt to die on vs. 30 with a pregnant sow and have to worry about appreciation and good school districts and stuff.

• Gravy
I'm not one to be wanting to up the value. Land is something to live your life on, not a financial investment you want to increase. I'd keep it lowdown dirty shitty shanty and keep those tax appraisals low, but that's just me.
Tax appraisals in that part of NY are just the average of recent sales in your area. You have to file a complaint to get things appraised in person. It's so dumb. My grandmother had a farm that wasnt anywhere near her house and in the early 2000s they kept evaluating the pole barns as houses.

• Gravy
Tax appraisals in that part of NY are just the average of recent sales in your area. You have to file a complaint to get things appraised in person. It's so dumb. My grandmother had a farm that wasnt anywhere near her house and in the early 2000s they kept evaluating the pole barns as houses.
From what I've seen of New York there's lots of things that are dumb and expensive not to mention really invasive when it comes to even local govt prying into your shit.
And that's upstate. Not even NYC.
Not really for me.

• Gravy
Of course priorities might be different when you're 50 and just want a piece of dirt to die on vs. 30 with a pregnant sow and have to worry about appreciation and good school districts and stuff.
I had to raise 3 teenagers. It's not that I hate kids but... The new girl has a 5 y/o which is fine, I'm just not really planning on knocking anyone up.

• Love
From what I've seen of New York there's lots of things that are dumb and expensive not to mention really invasive when it comes to even local govt prying into your shit.
And that's upstate. Not even NYC.
Not really for me.
Upstate is pretty chill where I'm from like you dont even need building permits but I'm from way out in the country.

• Gravy
I had to raise 3 teenagers. It's not that I hate kids but... The new girl has a 5 y/o which is fine, I'm just not really planning on knocking anyone up.
There's two now that while biologically not mine I'm pretty much the only example they have of what a decent man should be.

Imagine that. Me.

• Gravy
There's only one good thing about living 161 miles inland. Basically, once a hurricane makes landfall it loses power.
Theoretically, a hurricane could travel up the Catawba Delta and if it didn't deviate course for 150 miles or so and split west at the South Fork Catwba, after travelling the entire twisted distance of Lake Wylie...
I could have a hurricane in my catchers mitt.